- Dr. Lee-Ann Jaykus, the 2022 Harris Award recipient, will be presenting the Harris Award Lecture on Wednesday, November 2 as a part of the Department’s Seminar Series. The seminar begins at 4 pm in Parker Food Science and Technology room 118 with a reception for Dr. Jaykus immediately following in the lobby of the Department. The seminar is open to the public. Dr. Jaykus is a William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor in the Department of Food, Bioprocessing, and Nutrition Sciences at North Carolina State University. Click here to learn more about the Harris Award.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam and his innovative research with high pressure processing was featured as one of ten Buckeye Innovators in the Ohio State Alumni Magazine.
- Steven Simmons has been approved by the International HACCP Alliance as a Lead Instructor. Steven is a program specialist in the Food Industries Center.
- Dr. Lynn Knipe and Dr. Lyda Garcia from the Department of Animal Sciences presented Home Processing of Food Animals at the Small Farm Center during the 2022 Farm Science Review.
- The Journal of Dairy Science (JDS) recognized Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores for having among the 100 most highly cited papers published in JDS. The paper they reference is “Symposium review: The relevance of bovine milk phospholipids in human nutrition-Evidence of the effect on infant gut and brain development Ortega-Anaya, Joana; Jimenez-Flores, Rafael. 2019. J Dairy Sci. 102:2738–2748; https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-15342”
- Dr. Sheryl Barringer’s research into odor neutralizing compounds and enzymes in food was highlighted in an article in Daily Meal.
- The Food Industries Center, in partnership with the International Programs in Agriculture, hosted an international training program on September 11 - 24, which was funded through the USDA Cochran Fellowship Program. The two-week training was designed for a diverse group of six Fellows from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras and 1 USDA staff member from Guatemala, and focused on new innovations, trends, processing techniques, and food safety best practices in the U.S. Baking Industry. Dr. Valente Alvarez and Steven Simmons led the group through industry tours throughout Ohio and Indiana, a baking expo in Las Vegas, and association meetings in D.C.
- The department’s 2022 Autumn Seminar Series schedule can be found here. The seminars take place from 4:00 -5:00 pm in the Parker Food Science and Technology Building room 118 each week and are open to the public.
October 5 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Edisson Tello Camacho, Flavor Research and Education Center
October 12 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Chibuike Udenigwe, Nutrition Sciences at the University of Ottawa
October 18 – 20 Food Industries Center Training Course
Cleaning and Sanitation Basics + Advanced CIP
October 19 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Alireza Abbaspourrad, Department of Food Science at Cornell University
October 25 – 26 Food Industries Center Training Course
October 26 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Brian Roe, OSU Department of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics
November 2 2022 Harris Award Lecture
Dr. Lee-Ann Jaykus, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor in the Department of Food, Bioprocessing, and Nutrition Sciences NCSU
November 9 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Richard Bruno, OSU Department of Human Sciences
November 9 – 11 Food Industries Center Training Course
PCQI Training: Preventive Controls for Human Food
November 16 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Nora Bello, OSU Department of Animal Sciences
November 30 FST Seminar Series – Student Presentations
Zoey Fu (MS), Ruiya Bao (MS), and Simone Fishel (MS)
December 7 FST Seminar Series – Student Presentations
Jerish Joyner Janahar (PhD), Rahul Venkatram (MS), Lu Xun (MS)