You are here
Food Science and Technology News : September 2019 Highlights
- Dr. Barb Kowalcyk is bringing the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention (CFI) to Ohio State. CFI will provide a centralized location for food safety resources, researchers, faculty, and staff from several Ohio State colleges and departments including the College of Public Health, the John Glenn College of Public Affairs, the College of Veterinary Medicine, and the College of Education and Human Ecology. The center will also work with industry partners, consumer food safety groups, other academic institutions, and government agencies charged with ensuring food safety. Click here to learn more.
- Congratulations to Dr. Osvaldo Campanella who has received an International Association for Engineering and Food (IAEF) Lifetime Achievement Award. He was recognized at the recent International Congress on Engineering and Food (ICEF13).
- The department hosted over 120 people this month at the annual FST Scholarship Dinner. Dr. Sheryl Barringer welcomed students who were scholarship recipients and their guests at dinner celebrating academic excellence in the department. Special guests included CFAES Dean Dr. Cathann A. Kress and CFAES Associate Dean for Academic Programs Dr. Steve Neal and several FST faculty.
- CFAES International Programs in Agriculture and the Food Industries Center has been selected to host the Cochran Fellowship Program for Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras on U.S. Baking and Food Ingredients
- CAFFRE Directors Dr. Yael Vodovotz and Dr. Steve Clinton along with Dean Cathann A. Kress and FST Chair Dr. Sheryl Barringer were on hand at the CFAES Farm Science Review to accept a check totaling over 190,000 from Fueling the Cure.
- The department recently held a reception for the newly launched FST student-industry mentorship program. During this first semester, the program has matched 23 industry members with students who are looking to connect and network with professionals in various sectors of the food industry. Click here to learn more.
- Congratulations to undergraduate student Jenna Fryer on receiving the PepsiCo Intern scholarship and PhD student Mackenzie Hannum on receiving the IFT Sensory and Consumer Sciences Division Sliver Celebration PhD Scholarship from the IFT Feeding Tomorrow Foundation.
- MS student Abbie Sommer talks about how appearance is playing a large role in food “liking” and selection in a recent blog post for Science Meets Food.
October 4 2019 Hall of Distinction
4 - 5:30 pm Parker Lobby
October 16 FST Seminar
Dr. Guillaume Brisson, Laval University
4-5 pm Parker 118
October 22 Cleaning and Sanitation Basics
October 23 Advanced CIP
October 23 FST Seminar
Dale Seiberling and Bonnie Daneker
4-5 pm Parker 118; book signing and reception to follow
October 29 OVIFT Edge Innovation Hub event
5 - 8:15 pm; 1140 Gahanna Parkway
October 30 FST Seminar
Dr. Jen-Yi Huang, Purdue University
4-5 pm Parker 118
November 11-13 FSPCS – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
November 13 OVIFT Kroger Pantry Volunteer Night, Grove City