- The department recently hosted over 100 students and guests for the department’s annual scholarship dinner. This past year over $128,000 was awarded in scholarships to 65 students from the department.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz and the CAFFRE program were on hand with CFAES and the James at the Farm Science Review to receive a check from the Growing the Cure Cooperatives.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam and Dr. Dennis Heldman recently participated in the Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE). This is an international food engineering meeting that discusses research, teaching and outreach aspects of food engineering.
- The JT ‘Stubby’ Endowed Chair in Dairy Foods Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores recently presented at the 15th Latin American Congress on Milk and Health. His presentation was “Nutritional Delivery of Milk Components within the Dairy Matrix and its Role on Human Health.”
- Ohio State Insights recently featured the research of Dr. Chris Simons and the Perception and Liking Lab.
- Dr. Abby Snyder talks about chicken and preventing foodborne illness in this recent CFAES Chow Line article.
- The Food Innovation Center recently hosted 280 participants for the Inaugural Scientific Conference on Carbohydrate Restriction.
- Congratulations to PhD student Katie Williamson who placed first in the poster competition at the MRFood Conference in Rennes, France.
- Congratulations to research associate Shreya Kamat for placing second in the poster competition at the Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE).
- Congratulations to MS student Shiyu Cai who was awarded a scholarship grant from the FMI Foundation for the 2018 – 2019 academic year. The FMI Foundation scholarships are awarded to students currently enrolled in food and agricultural science majors who have a true interest in the field of accredited food safety auditing.
- Congratulations to PhD student Michael Dzakovich who won the ISHS Young Minds award for the best poster presentation at the 15th ISHS Symposium on the Processing Tomato in Greece in June 2018 for his paper entitled "From bitter to better: Exploring natural variation in potentially bioactive tomato glycoalkaloids". He was also recently featured in the Tomato News newsletter.
- The William and Sandra Hildebolt Innovation and Entrepreneurial Endowed Fund recently made two awards for entrepreneurial support. The recipients were Ali Lachey of Foods for Purpose and Sarah Steinbrunner and Amy Andes of Beannut Butter.
- Dr. Jiyoung Lee had some recent publications come out of her lab. “The microbiome and antibiotic resistance in integrated fishfarm water: Implications of environmental public health” is published in Science of The Total Environment. “Tile Drainage and Anthropogenic Land Use Contribute to Harmful Algal Blooms and Microbiota Shift in Inland Water Bodies” was published in Environmental Science & Technology. This publication was also featured in the Ohio State News.
- Dr. Rachel Kopec talks about her research with metabolomics in an article about nutrition in the Columbus Dispatch.
- The Department hosted 56 members of the Refrigerated Foods Association for a tour of the department during their recent Symposium held in Columbus. The group spent time touring the pilot plants, the sensory analysis and perception and liking labs, as well as the Animal Science Meat Lab. They also heard from David Phinney, research associate for Dr. Denny Heldman, about “Energy and Quality in Refrigerated Food.”
- The Food Industries Center was selected by the West Virginia Public Health Sanitation Division to teach the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training on September 25 – 27 in Charleston, WV. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA requirements for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
10/2–10/4 Dairy 101: Introduction to Dairy Processing and Management
10/3 FST Department Seminar – Hua Wang, PhD – FST Professor
10/11-10/12 Fall Break
10/16 Cleaning and Sanitation Basics
10/17 FST Department Seminar – Shakeel ur Rehman, PhD – Chief Science Officer, fairlife, LLC
10/17–10/18 Advanced CIP
10/18 OVIFT Beer School at Brewdog
Click here for more information
10/23-10/24 Meat and Poultry Labeling Course
11/7 FST 2018 Harris Award Lecture - Dr. Robert Gravani, Professor Emeritus Cornell University