- Congratulations to Dr. Herbert Stone who has been selected as the 2016 Harris Award Recipient. The 2016 Harris Award Lecture will take place on Friday, October 28th at 2 pm in room 118 of the Parker Food Science and Technology building. All are welcome to attend.
- The 2016 OSU Food Science and Technology Hall of Distinction induction reception was held during the CFAES Fallfest. Now in its fourth year, the FST Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Congratulations to the 2016 inductees: Ms. Patricia Brundige, Mr. Mark Sandridge, and Mr. Joseph Soehnlen.
- The Department participated in an Academic Program Review this past month. The External review team consisted of Dr. Chris Daubert, Professor and Head from from NC State, Dr. Joseph Frank, Professor (retired) from the University of Georgia, and Dr. Mike McCarthy, Professor and Chair (retired) from UC Davis. The review team commented that the undergraduate program was outstanding, and the best they had seen; that our graduate students are well trained and well placed; that our research was nationally recognized and that our service to the food industry is exceptional.
- Congratulations to Musfirah Zulkurnain who placed 1st in the 2016 Conference of Food Engineering poster competition. She is co-advised by Dr. Balasubramaniam and Dr. Farnaz Maleky.
- FST graduates students John Frelka and Matt Teegarden are members of the group ‘Don’t Eat the Pseudoscience’ and were recently interviewed in a Forbes article about Panera and their clean food messaging. Click here for the article.
- The “Crops to Clinic” multidisciplinary research team’s black raspberry confections are now being commercially sold at the Bloch Café located on the 14th floor of the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute. The research team includes FST’s Dr. Yael Vodovotz and Dr. Steve Schwartz.
- FST Chair Dr. Sheryl Barringer and her student Dr. Rita Mirondo recently published in the Journal of Food Science a study about the Deodorization of Garlic Breath by Foods, and the Role of Polyphenol Oxidase and Phenolic Compounds. IFT produced a video of Dr. Barringer explaining the research and 46 articles including Popular Science also reported about the study.
- IFT Weekly recently reported on research briefs including a study by Dr. Farnaz Maleky that was published in Food Research International which shows that oleogels may be able to replace a majority of the saturated fat in cream cheese while providing a similar texture. Click here to read.
- The 13th Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE’16) was held this part month on Ohio State’s campus. The conference hosted over 175 attendees from around the world and covered a broad scope of issues related to food engineering, both theory and practice and included 3 plenary lectures, 21 technical sessions, and poster sessions. Conference organizers included Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam, Dr. Dennis Heldman, Dr. Gonul Kaletunc, and Dr. Sudhir Sastry.
October 18-19 HTST Maintenance Workshop
Information and Registration: go.osu.edu/HTSTmaintenance
October 25 – 26 Advanced Clean In Place (CIP) Workshop
Information and Registration go.osu.edu/cip
October 26-27 Survey of Flavor Science
To Register: Survey of Flavor Science
October 28 2016 Harris Award Lecture, Dr. Herbert Stone
2 pm in Parker 118 with public reception to follow