You are here
Food Science and Technology News : October Highlights
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores served as an organizer and participant in the recent 3rd Annual Forum of Milk and Health in Mexico City.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk was recently interviewed in an article about cell-based meat. Click here to read the article.
- Dr. Jiyoung Lee is Co-PI of an award from the National Science Foundation for the proposal: Impacts of green infrastructure on the microbiome of urban stormwater.
- Dr. Lynn Knipe was a guest on WOSU All Sides with Ann Fisher on the subject of Lab-Grown Meat. Click here to listen.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk was a guest speaker at a recent College of Public Health Farm to Table Lunch and Learn. She discussed the burden of foodborne disease, current food safety challenges and the need for an intergraded, risk-based food safety system that protects public health and prevents foodborne disease
- Dr. Abby Snyder talks about food spoilage in this recent CFAES Chow Line.
- During the recent salmonella outbreaks, Dr. Ahmed Yousef and Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk spoke about food safety with WSYX News.
- Congratulations to PhD student Mackenzie Hannum on receiving the Elaine Skinner Student Award for Outstanding Presentation on an Applied Topic during the recent Society of Sensory Professionals Conference.
- Congratulations to PhD student Geoff Dubrow on being named a finalist in the Withycombe-Charalamous Graduate Student Competition. As a finalist, he will present his research at the American Chemical Society National Spring Meeting in Orlando.
- MS student Megan Kesler talks about fair trade in this recent IFTSA Science Meets Food blog.
- PhD student Mackenzie Hannum and FST graduate Dr. Alex Pierce interview Mona Wolf of the Wolf Group in an IFTSA Science Meets Food blog.
The Food Industries Center held the Cleaning and Sanitation Basics + Advanced Clean in Place (CIP) Workshop on October 16 - 18, which included multiple hands-on sessions to increase technical knowledge through applied training. Instructors from the department included Dr. Valente Alvarez, Dr. Dennis Heldman, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, David Phinney, Dr. Abby Snyder, Gary Wenneker, and Dr. Ahmed Yousef in addition to volunteer speakers from industry and government agencies.
November 7 Harris Award Seminar 3:30 public reception in Parker Lobby and 4 pm seminar in Parker 118
2018 recipient Dr. Robert Gravani
November 14 Department Seminar Series 4-5 pm, Parker 118
Bhavik Bakshi, PhD., Professor, OSU Chemical and Bimolecular Engineering
November 14 OVIFT Event – Using High Pressure Processing to Keep Foods Fresh and Safe
Registration and Information
November 28 Department Seminar Series 4-5 pm, Parker 118
Xiaoying Zhao, PhD candidate and Geoff Dubrow, PhD candidate