- The Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention (CFI) at The Ohio State University will hold its inaugural event, “Translating Science Into Policy and Practice: What are the food safety priorities?” on Nov. 14 at the Drake Performance and Event Center. The event will include a food safety panel discussion featuring: Mindy Brashears, PhD, Deputy Under Secretary for Food Safety, Food Safety and Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; David Goldman, MD, MPH, Chief Medical Officer, Office of Food Policy and Response, U.S. Food and Drug Administration; and Robert Tauxe, MD, MPH, Director, Division of Foodborne, Waterborne, and Environmental Diseases, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Click here to learn more.
- Dr. Melvin Pascal’s work as a USAID Farmer to Farmer Volunteer in Guyana was recently featured in Stabroek News.
- Resource Magazine recently published a special issue on "Nourish the planet" that focused on food engineering’s role in feeding the growing population and included the article “Food Engineering for Minimal Processing” by Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam. The magazine is published by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- The James Cancer Center recently released a video highlighting the research of Dr. Yael Vodovotz with products and their chemo preventative properties.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores and Dr. Rich Bruno of Human Sciences were awarded a $530,000 grant from the National Dairy Council for their research entitled “Alleviation Of Metabolic Endotoxemia In Adults With Metabolic Syndrome With Milk Fat Globule Membrane”.
- Dr. Kara Morgan has an article titled "Decision-making in the public sector: What can government learn from decision sciences?" in ORMS Today Kara is a research scientist with the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher Dr. Hardy Castada received the Early Career award for the SEEDS: The CFAES Research Competitive Grants Program 2019 for the research proposal entitled "Novel detection of adulteration an authentication of single-origin coffee beans using Selected Ion Flow Tube- Mass Spectrometry couples with portable IR and Raman Spectroscopy."
- Congratulations to PhD student Hacer Akpolat who placed second in the poster competition at the SciX 2019 Annual Conference.
- MS student Amanda Sia talks about homemade bubble tea and crop breeding in a blog post for Science Meets Food.
- MS student Abbie Sommer talks about the ingredients in a Hostess Twinkie cake in a blog post for Science Meets Food.
- The department welcomed Molly Davis as a technical editor.
November 6 FST Seminar
Dr. Devin Peterson
4-5 pm Parker 118
November 11-13 FSPCS – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
November 13 OVIFT Kroger Pantry Volunteer Night, Grove City
Information and Registration
November 13 FST Seminar
Dr. Jessica Cooperstone
4-5 pm Parker 118
November 14 “Translating Science Into Policy and Practice: What are the food safety priorities?”
1-6:30 pm at the Drake Performance and Event Center.
The deadline to register is Nov. 7. Register at go.osu.edu/cfi.
November 20 FST Seminar
2019 Harris Award recipient Dr. Mehmood Khan
4 pm seminar in Parker 118 with public reception to follow in lobby