- The Department hosted the 2016 Harris Award recipient Dr. Herbert Stone to campus for the Harris Award Lecture and award presentation.
- Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider and the FDSCTE 1150 Caffeine Science course was in a recent article in the Ohio State student newspaper The Lantern. Click here to read the article.
- Citation Needed hosted a coffee hour discussion about GMO’s. Dr. John Finer, a professor of Gene Transfer and Promoter Analysis from the Department of Horticulture and Crop Science helped facilitate the discussion.
- The FST Food Science Club and the Ohio Valley IFT hosted a tour of the facilities at Wendy’s International Innovation Center followed by a networking event.
- The Buckeye Chapter of Phi Tau Sigma [ФТΣ] is starting a new lecture series focused on how industry, academia and government has influenced the lives of several individuals in food and related worlds. Dr. Chris Simons will deliver the first lecture on November 3rd.
- CAPPS (Center for Advanced Processing and Packaging Studies) held the fall meeting at UC Davis and awarded seed projects to the following OSU faculty – Dr. Rafael Jimenez Flores - Supercritical CO2 treatment of food proteins to modify functionality; Dr. Denny Heldman - New Application of in line raman spectroscopy during clean in place procedures; Dr. Farnaz Maleky - New Oleocolloids of oleogel and protein designed for high protein food; Dr. Yael Vodovotz – (1) New Assessment of PHA or PHBV high molecular weigh natural rubber food trays and (2) New Effect of microwave heating on water dynamics in a gluten sucrose model system
- On October 18 - 19, the Food Industries Center offered a HTST Maintenance Workshop in collaboration with Quality Chekd Dairies.
- The Food Industries Center held the Advanced CIP Workshop on October 25 – 26. Volunteer instructors came from industry, government, and academia. Dale Seiberling led a demonstration in the pilot plant using the CIP unit.
November 3 Phi Tau Sigma Lecture Series 3:30 pm, Parker 120
Dr. Chris Simons “From Industry to Academia: Finding Success in Food Science”
January 23-24, 2017 Introductory HACCP
January 25-27, 2017 PCQI Training: Preventive Controls for Human Food