You are here
Food Science and Technology News : November Highlights
- Congratulations to Andrea Gorzitze on receiving the 2016 Staff Advisory Council Above and Beyond Special Recognition Award! Andrea has been working with 33 faculty and numerous staff as the Grants Development Specialist at two Departments (FABE and FST) since she joined our College in 2006. She was nominated for the special recognition award by FABE Professor Erdal Ozkan.
- The FST Sensory Evaluation Program was recently highlighted in the Smart Business magazine article about Columbus as a test market. Click here for the article.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores was recently featured in an article titled “Got Concerns? Dairy Scholar Extols Nutritional Virtues of Milk” and can be found here.
- Dr. Devin Peterson and his Flavor Research & Education Center (FREC) was featured in an article titled “Focus on Flavor” and can be found here.
- The Food Innovation Center and the Center for Innovative Food Technology have been awarded a $20,000 grant from the Ohio Department of Agriculture Ohio Specialty Crop Promotion Program. This funding allows for the further development of Ohio Sourced and Sauced – the winning entry in the FIC Food Fight student product development competition last spring. That team consisted of Jacob Farr, Greg Sigurdson, and Peipei Tang.
- Congratulations to recent MS graduate Rebecca Liu who won the Barbara Perryam Award for Outstanding Student Presentation that Develops or Expands a Method. The award was given at the Society of Sensory Professionals conference this fall.
- Congratulations to Hardy Castada, recognized for his outstanding research on Characterization of Lamb Flavor using Selected Ion Flow Tube-Mass Spectrometry (SIFT-MS), at the 11th Annual International Scholar Research Exposition last week. His poster will be displayed in the exposition until December 30, 2016, on the first floor of Bricker Hall.
- The FST mentors hosted first year FST students to a pie making event in the pilot plant right before the Thanksgiving break. The mentors serve throughout the year as a resource for new students to the department.
- PhD student Musfirah Zulkurnain, Dr. Farnaz Maleky, and Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam recently published a paper titled “High pressure crystallization of binary fat blend: A feasibility study”. The journal article can be found here.
- Matt Papic joins the Food Industries Center as the Food Processing Pilot Plant Supervisor. Matt is an alumnus from our department and he previously worked at Boar’s Head where he gained experience on production processes, quality assurance, and sensory evaluation. Matt replaces Steven Simmons who has transitioned to the Program Specialist of the Food Industries Center, where he will focus on industry training and research. In his new position Steven’s primary responsibilities are in conducting applied research and related activities to engage food companies through a process of “scale up” from laboratory studies to pilot plant and industry scale. He also will collaborate in the development of teaching material and provide instruction in the short courses offered by FIC for food industry personnel.
December 7 Phi Tau Sigma Lecture Series 4 pm, Parker 120
‘How Researchers Research Efficiently’
December 16 FST fall graduation party in Parker lobby 2:30 – 3:30
January 23-24, 2017 Introductory HACCP
January 25-27 PCQI Training: Preventive Controls for Human Food
February 1-2, 2017 FREC Survey of Flavor Science, New Orleans
February 22-23, 2017 HTST Pasteurization Workshop
March 13-16, 2017 Better Process Control School