You are here
Food Science and Technology News : November Highlights
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz’s functional food research was recently featured in Agri-Pulse.
- Dr. Ahmed Yousef spoke with WSYX ABC6 about the recent romaine lettuce E. Coli outbreak.
- Dr. Abby Snyder talks about E. Coli contamination in a recent CFAES Chow Line article.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores recently participated in the American Dairy Products Institute 2018 ADPI Technical Symposium. His topic was the ‘Justification on the new demand for milk Phospholipids and/or MFGM in the food industry’ and was covered in The Milkweed trade publication.
- Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis recently presented ‘Producing Value-Added Products from Food Waste’ at the IUFoST World Food Science and Technology Congress.
- Dr. Valente B. Alvarez was the lead instructor for the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training on November 14 – 16 at the Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA requirements for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz and Dr. Katrina Cornish (Dept. Hort Crop Science) had their seed project “Natural rubber containing water based laminating adhesive for flexible packaging applications” funded at the fall CAPPS meeting. The Center for Advanced Processing and Packaging Studies (CAPPS) is an National Science Foundation IUCRC Founded Center designed to foster partnerships between industry and universities for the mutual benefit of both parties and the advancement of food processing and packaging research. The spring CAPPS meeting will be held at The Ohio State University in May.
- Dr. Jessica Cooperstone and FST student Ayna Arora spoke at the TEDx Ohio State University Salon event. The purpose of the Salon series is to explore a variety of ideas related to the role food plays in our lives and communities by featuring students and faculty from Ohio State’s College of Food, Agriculture and Environmental Science and the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity.
- MS student Elliot Dhuey recently won the Italian Packaging Manufacturer’s essay writing competition. As a part of winning the competition, he traveled to Italy for 7 days to tour several Italian packaging manufacturing companies.
- Congratulations to FST student Sarah Steinbrunner and MS student Amy Andes for their first place finish in the OSU Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship’s Best of Student Startups (BOSS) competition with their product Beannut Butter.
- Congratulations to PhD student Walaa Hussein for placing 1st in the "One Health Day Symposium" poster competition. The One Health Day Symposium brings together multiple disciplines working locally, nationally and globally to address the spread of disease, promote health and emphasize the connection among humans, animals and the environment.
- The undergraduate research experiences of Ayna Arora and Kelly Pan were recently featured on the OSU Office of Undergraduate Research’s Blog. Both students participate in the FST FoodSURE Undergraduate Research Program.
- FST students Kevin Berkowitz and Kelly Pan participated in the 2018 Autumn Undergraduate Research Festival.
December 1 Ohio FFA Food Science Contest
Parker Food Science and Technology Building
December 5 Department Seminar Series 4-5 pm, Parker 118
Anjan Contractor, CEO and Co-Founder of BeeHex
December 14 Department Fall Semester Graduation Party 2:30 – 3:30 pm, Parker Lobby