- Congratulations to Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis who has been awarded the 2017 Young Scientist Award by The International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST). The IUFoST Young Scientist Award recognizes an individual in the initial phases of her or his career for the potential to make outstanding scientific contributions to the field of food science and technology and the potential for future scientific leadership.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam presented on Clean Food Process Development to the Food and Process Engineering department at the University Putra Malaysia.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez Flores presented at the 7th International Symposium on “Delivery of Functionality in Complex Food Systems”, which was held in New Zealand.
- A recent Chow Line article about Thanksgiving food safety tips was edited by Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk. Click here to read the article. Another Chow Line article about thawing turkey was edited by assistant professor and CFAES food safety specialist Dr. Abby Snyder Click here to read the article.
- Post-doctoral researcher Hardy Castada was recognized as a finalist for outstanding research on "Novel detection of adulteration and authentication of single-origin green coffee beans using on-line SIFT-MS analysis of volatile organic compounds during and after roasting of coffee beans" at the 12th Annual International Scholar Research Exposition.
- PhD student Mackenzie Hannum recently blogged about emotion and food choices in the IFTSA Science Meets Food blog. Click here to read the blog.
- The Food Industries Center held the Advanced Clean in Place (CIP) Workshop on November 1 – 2, which included multiple hands-on sessions to increase technical knowledge through applied training. Instructors from the department included Valente Alvarez, Dennis Heldman, David Phinney, Steven Simmons, Ahmed Yousef, and Gary Wenneker, in addition to volunteer speakers from industry and government agencies.
- The Food Industries Center conducted an onsite Better Process Control School at AmeriQual Group in Evansville, Indiana on November 17 – 18, training employees in thermal processing of low-acid and acidified foods in flexible and semi-rigid containers.
- The Food Industries Center was invited for a second time this year to teach the Better Process Control School at The J.M. Smucker Company on November 29 – 30, training employees from multiple plant operations in thermal processing of low-acid and acidified foods.
- Post Doc Hardy Castada, Dr. Sheryl Barringer, and Dr. Macdonald Wick recently published two articles in the journal Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry (RCM) with one of the articles being selected for the cover image.
December 2 Ohio FFA Food Science Contest
Parker Food Science and Technology Building
December 6-8 FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
December 15 FST Fall Semester Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 pm in the Parker Food Science Lobby
January 22 Introduction to Food Science Essentials (Online Course)