- The department graduated 29 undergraduate students, 4 Masters students, and 2 PhD’s during the spring semester graduation. Congratulations and best of luck to our new alumni.
- During our department’s spring semester graduation party, a number of awards were announced including:
- Rob Hallinan received the 2019 Pamela Parker Garten and Tom Parker graduate scholarship. Amy Andes and Emily Campbell received the 2018-201 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award.
- Congratulations to Dr. Denny Heldman who was given the 2019 Fred W. Tanner Lectureship Award by the Chicago Section IFT.
- Ohio State News recently ran a story about the department’s science communication club ‘Citation Needed’.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam's research in high pressure processing (HPP) was highlighted in the May Issue of Chemical Engineering Progress magazine.
- Dr. Sheryl Barringer’s research with garlic was featured in an article on Livescience.com.
- A research study with Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona and the OSU rheumatology department about diagnosing fibromyalgia was in the US News & World Report.
- Fox28 recently did a story on the research in bioplastics taking place in Dr. Yael Vodovotz’s lab.
- Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona talks about the technology in his lab that detects food adulteration in a story with WSYX-TV.
- Dr. Farnaz Maleky has been selected as an Associate Editor for the Journal of American Oil Chemist Society (JAOCS).
- Dr. Abby Snyder talks about foodborne illness outbreaks in this recent CFAES Chow Line article.
- The Ohio Academy of Science State Science Day was held earlier this month and Dr. Farnaz Maleky, Dr. Brian Waters, and FST grad student Abigail Sommers served as judges for the OSU Food Science Award.
- Congratulations to Brianne Linne who was named a 2019 AGFD Award Recipient. This is the Agricultural and Food Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society.
- Congratulations to Robert Hallinan who placed third in the Edible Application Technology Poster competition. Clifford Park, Brandon Howard, and Terrence Dent also presented research at the American Oil Chemist’s Society Annual Meeting.
- Congratulations to Morgan Whitecotton who received the Virginia Dare scholarship. Each year the Virginia Dare Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate food science student based on academic achievement, leadership, professional potential and interest in flavor technology.
- FST grad students Megan Kesler and Elliot Dhuey blogged about cultured yogurt in a recent IFTSA Science Meets Food Blog.
- FST grad student Mackenzie Hannum interviewed Bob Graeter, Vice President and Owner of Graeter’s Manufacturing Co. in a recent IFTSA Science Meets Food Blog.
- On May 13 – 17, the Food Industries Center trained FDA and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and the food industry, including the following faculty: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Sheryl Barringer, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, Dr. Sudhir Sastry, and Dr. Abby Snyder. The 4 ½ day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods.
- The department served as host for the CIFT Innovation Roundtable this spring. CIFT industry members were able to learn more about the department through a presentation and tour as well as interact with faculty.
June 3 FST Networking Reception at IFT
6:30-8:00 Gallerie 5 @ New Orleans Marriott
July 18-19 Introduction to Process Control for Meat and Poultry Processors
Registration and more information
September18-19 Advanced HACCP for Meat and Poultry Processors
Registration and more information