You are here
Food Science and Technology News : March Highlights 2019
- Congratulations to Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores who has received a 2019 North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Educator Award. He will be recognized during the NATCA Conference this June. One of the central purposes of NACTA is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education
- Congratulations to our College Bowl team on their first place finish at the IFTSA Midwest Area Meeting! The team will now advance to compete during the IFT Annual Meeting in New Orleans in June. Team members include Mackenzie Hannum, Fenfen Tang, Jenna Fryer, Aishwarya Badiger, Abigail Sommer, Maria Cotter, Katie Williamson, Tim Vazquez, Aaron Beczkiewicz, Eric Yale, and Elliot Dhuey.
- FST Assistant professor Dr. Barb Kowalcyk received a 3.39 million research grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the U.K. Department for International Development to improve the safety of food in Ethiopia. Click here to read more about the grant.
- A study involving the OSU College of Medicine and research in Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona’s lab with vibrational spectroscopy and diagnosing fibromyalgia recently appeared in the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Additional authors from FST included Dr. Monica Giusti, Dr. Greg Sigurdson, Dr. Didem Aykas, and former Post Doc Marcal Plans Pujolras. Click here to learn more.
- Dr. Melvin Pascall was an editor and authored several chapters of the recently released second edition of Packaging for Nonthermal Processing of Food.
- The Food Science Club recently held their elections for the 2019-2020 school year. Congratulations to the following students:
Co-president: Philip Eberly, Megan Gregg
Secretary: Shannon McMahon
Treasurer: Nick Barone
Industry Liaisons: Erica Kosmerl, Elliot Dhuey
Social and Volunteer Chair: Brenna Kilbarger
OVIFT Liaison: Stephanie Scoggins
CFAES Liaison: Caleb Metzcar
- Congratulations to the product development competition team of Elliot Dhuey, Megan Hoehn, Hannah Mehle, Fenfen Tang, and Erica Kosmerl. Their team has been selected as one of three finalists for the Ocean Spray Cranberries Inc. Student Product Development Competition. They will participate in the final stage of the competition at the Ocean Spray Headquarters in June.
- Congratulations to MS student Mallory Goggans whose proposed research project to SEEDS: THE CFAES RESEARCH COMPETITIVE GRANTS PROGRAM was funded. The graduate team of Yuehan Ai (Food Science and Technology) and Angela Davis (ESGP) also received funding.
- Congratulations to PhD student Brianne Linne who received the 2019 William Jaggard Scholarship from the Society of Flavor Chemistry. She will travel to the SFC Midwest meeting in Cincinnati to present her research and accept the award.
- Congratulations to MS student Jenna Miller who received an Ohio Soybean Council Foundation Scholarship for the 2019-2020 school year.
- FST senior Sarah Steinbrunner talks about her product 'Beannut Butter' in this Ohio State Lantern story.
- Congratulations to the Hayes Graduate Research Forum winners from FST: Walaa Hussein placed 1st in the Health Sciences Division poster competition, Gary Closs, Jr placed 3rd in the Biological Sciences Division poster competition, and Mackenzie Hannum received Honorable Mention in the FAES Division Oral Competition. Erica Kosmerl, Po-Wei Yeh, Ariel Garsow, and Shiyu Cai also participated in the Forum.
- The department was well represented at the CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum. Congratulations to Morgan Whitecotton who placed 1st, Xiang Li placed 2nd, and Sok Lin Ang placed 3rd in the Food Science division. Also participating from our department was Kevin Berkowitz, Robin Bodner, Mariah Cox, Jenna Fryer, Gabriel Hastings, Wan Xin Tan, and Stiphany Tieu.
- FST undergraduate students Sok Lin Ang, Jenna Fryer, Wan Xin Tan, Drew Sanders, and Jack Gothier participated in the Spring Research Forum.
- MS students Erica Kosmerl and Elliot Dhuey talk about a functional understanding of pre-workout supplements in their IFTSA blog and MS student Megan Kesler talks about food and beverages on Saint Patrick's Day in her IFTSA blog.
- Congratulations to Jenna Fryer on her induction into Phi Tau Sigma, the Honor Society of Food Science and Technology.
- Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led the Food Industries Center’s Better Process Control School this month, with lectures from Matt Papic, Steven Simmons, Dr. Abby Snyder and expert industry collaborators. Daily lectures were offered in microbiology, acidified and low-acid foods, container closures and handling, thermal processing, and recordkeeping. This course satisfies the training requirements specified in both the FDA and USDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in low-acid and acidified low-acid canned foods.
- On March 11 – 15, the Food Industries Center trained FDA and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and industry experts for this inaugural course of a four year FDA training grant. The 4 ½ day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods. In addition to graduate student and staff assistance for this program, the following faculty helped to lead the training: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Dennis Heldman, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, and Dr. Abby Snyder.
- Nominations are open for the 2019 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2019 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
- Are you planning to attend the IFT Annual Meeting in June? Do not forget to purchase your ticket to the department’s annual OSU at IFT reception. The reception will be held on Monday, June 3rd 6:30-8:00 p.m. in Gallerie 5 at the New Orleans Marriott. This is a ticketed event and the cost of the ticket is $50.00. If you have already registered and just want to purchase a reception ticket only, you can purchase it by selecting the “Social Events” option in the Attendee Registration and Housing Links box on the home page of the registration site. You can also call registration customer service at 800.462.9440 to have tickets added to your existing registration. Also, be sure to stop by our booth at the Expo – we are booth #3931.
April 2 OVIFT FoodSURE Spring Research Forum
4 pm Parker Food Science Lobby
April 3 OVIFT New Professionals: An Evening with Cameron Mitchell
April 18 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
8 am – 5 pm Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
April 22 CFAES Annual Research Conference
9 am -12 pm Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4H Center
April 23-25 Thermal Processing of Ready-to-Eat Meat Products short course
April 24 OVIFT Annual Golf Outing
April 25 OVIFT Annual Suppliers Expo
Register to exhibit, sponsor, or attend
May 3 FST Spring Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 pm Parker Food Science Lobby