- Congratulations to the following faculty on their 2018 IFT Achievement Award. The Nicolas Appert Award will be awarded to Dr. Dennis Heldman, the William V. Cruess Award for Excellence in Teaching will be awarded to Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona, the Stephen S. Chang Award for Lipid or Flavor Science will be awarded to Dr. Devin Peterson and the Samuel Cate Prescott Award for Research will be awarded to Dr. Barb Kowalcyk. The awards celebration will take place at IFT18 in Chicago on Sunday, July 15th. We will also be recognizing these achievements during the OSU at IFT reception Monday, July 16th. Click here to learn more about these awards.
- Congratulations to Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam on being selected as one of this year’s recipients of the 2018 OARDC Innovator of the Year Award. He will receive the award at the CFAES Annual Research Conference on Friday, April 27th in Wooster.
- Congratulations to Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider and Dr. Chris Simons who have both received a 2018 North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Educator Award. In addition, congratulations to recent PhD graduate Dr. Mei-Ling Shotts who received the NACTA Graduate Student Award. They will be recognized during the NATCA Conference this June at Iowa State University. One of the central purposes of NACTA is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education.
- Congratulations to Dr. Ken Lee on his election to the IFT Board of Directors.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk has been reappointed to the FDA Science Board for an additional two-year term. The FDA Science Board advises the federal agency on complex scientific and technical issues and provides input on the agency’s research agenda and on upgrading scientific and research facilities and training opportunities.
- The Center for Applied Plant Sciences CAPS and COSI released an educational video demonstrating the role plants play in our food system. As a part of the video, Dr. Monica Giusti talks about functional foods and Dr. Denny Heldman talks about food production and reducing food waste. Click here for the video.
- Research by Dr. Sheryl Barringer was recently highlighted in Ohio State Insights.
- Dr. Valente Alvarez was the featured expert in a Columbus Dispatch article “Matters of Taste: Fermentation might smell bad, but the food is good.”
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk recently presented at a FIGHT BAC! Webinar about the long term health effects of a food borne illness. There were over 700 attendees and was organized by the Partnership for Food Safety Education.
- The department recently hosted the OVIFT FoodSURE Spring Research Forum. We had over 30 students submit an abstract for the poster competition and both our students and faculty enjoyed the opportunity to interact with industry professionals. Congratulations to the following students who placed in the poster competition - Graduate student category: 1st place - Emily Holman, Finalists - Geoff Dubrow, Mackenzie Hannum, Meredith Myers, Matt Teegarden, and Katie Williamson. Undergraduate student category: 1st place - Daniel Sosh, Finalists - Anna Schmenk, Karli Van Simaeys, and Morgan Whitecotton.
- Congratulations to FST’s IFTSA Mars Product Development Team ‘Banzo Bites’! They have been selected as one of six finalists in the 28th Annual IFTSA & MARS Product Development Competition. They will compete in the final competition at the IFT Annual Meeting in July. Team members include Tara Vorst, Sarah Steinbrunner, Megan Lu, Anna Schmenk, Megan Hoehn, Amy Andes, Jing-Wei Lee, and Ayna Arora.
- Our department was well represented at the Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum this year. Congratulations to Mackenzie Hannum for placing 1st in the poster presentation and Geoff Dubrow for placing 3rd in the oral presentation. Also participating was Stelios Sarantis and Aishwarya Badiger in the poster presentations and Amanda Sia and Subbiah Nagappan (FABE) in the oral presentations.
- Congratulations to Karli Van Simaeys - 1st, Haley Orwig - 2nd, and Daniel Sosh - 3rd, for placing in the Food Science category of the CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum. Also representing the department at the forum was Xiang Li, Morgan Whitecotton, Jing-Wei Lee, Ayna Arora, and Maggie Stegman.
- Recent PhD graduate Dr. Mei-Ling Shotts has been named the incoming chair for Quality Assurance Division of IFT.
- Congratulations to the following students who have been selected as FST Peer Mentors for the 2018-19 academic year: Jessica Callahan, Mariah Cox, Lindsay Davis, Kelly Deatherage, and Jenna Fryer. They will be joining our current mentors who will be returning next year: Ayna Arora, Ashley Besancon, Philip Eberly, Emily Kreinbrink, Jing-Wei Lee, Caleb Metzcar, and Sarah Steinbrunner. FST Peer Mentors will serve as student leaders for incoming freshmen and new transfer students, through one-on-one mentoring and planning events to provide hands-on experience in our pilot plants. We look forward to another great year of activities and interactions.
- Congratulations to FST undergraduate Lindsay Davis on receiving the W.T. Reese Memorial Scholarship from the International Dairy Deli Bakery Association.
- Recent PhD graduate Dr. Alex Feldmeyer talks about refined sugar in a recent IFTSA Science Meets Food Blog.
- Dr. Farnaz Maleky spent two weeks working in Guatemala under the USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) program. As a volunteer technical specialist, she provided technical assistance to Guatemalan Food Industry "to improve the productivity and competitiveness of the medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in Guatemala".
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2018 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
- Are you planning to attend the IFT Annual Meeting in July? Do not forget to purchase your ticket to the department’s annual OSU at IFT reception. The reception will be held on Monday, July 16th 6:00-7:30 p.m. in Williford B at the Hilton Chicago. This is a ticketed event and the cost of the ticket is $50.00. If you have already registered and just want to purchase a reception ticket only, you can purchase it by selecting the “Social Events” option in the Attendee Registration and Housing Links box on the home page of the registration site. You can also call registration customer service at 800.462.9440 to have tickets added to your existing registration. Also, be sure to stop by our booth at the Expo – we are booth #1261 (South Hall).
- The Food Industries Center held its annual Better Process Control School on March 12 – 15, offering daily lectures in microbiology, acidified and low-acid foods, container closures and handling, thermal processing, and records and recordkeeping. This course satisfies the training requirements specified in both the FDA and USDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in low-acid and acidified low-acid canned foods.
4/3 Richard J. and Martha D. Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
The Ohio Union
4/5 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
4/9-4/10 Introductory HACCP
4/11-4/13 FSPCA – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
5/4 FST Spring Semester Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 Parker Food Science Lobby
5/16 FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training (Blended Course)
5/21 Introduction to Food Science Essentials (Online Course)
Food Science Essentials
7/16 OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni reception
6:00 – 7:30 pm Williford B at the Hilton Chicago