- Dr. Ken Lee has been given the 2016 Phi Tau Sigma Special Recognition award. He will be recognized during the Phi Tau Sigma awards program at the 2016 IFT Annual Meeting.
- Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis has officially accepted our offer of Assistant Professor. His start date is August 2016.
- FST was well represented at both the 2016 Denman Undergraduate Research Forum and the inaugural Spring Undergraduate Research Expo. Rachel Larue and Lindsay Moeller presented their research in the Spring Undergraduate Research Expo and Mackenzie Hannum, Fangjun Liu, Meredith Myers, and Katie Williamson presented in the Denman. Congratulations to Katie Williamson who placed 3rd at the Denman. In addition, Dr. Yael Vodovotz was nominated as a 2016 Outstanding and Distinguished Research Mentor.
- FST postdoc Dr. Jessica Cooperstone and MS student Alexa Lans recently participated in the 2016 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium. Congratulations to Alexa Lans on her 1st place in the Basic and Molecular Poster Competition.
- Menghan Shi and Megan Lu have been chosen as one of six finalists for the IFTSA Undergraduate Research Competition at the 2016 Annual Meeting. Title: Assessment of semi-moist pet treat storage stability at different temperatures by combination of physical properties and NMR analyses. Authors: Menghan Shi*, Megan Lu, Timothy Vazquez, John C. Frelka, Yael Vodovotz; Division: Food Chemistry
- FST PhD student Alex Pierce beat out more than 200,000 other MindSumo student solvers to be one of five students to win the "Create the best new soup for cooking" challenge, hosted by General Mills.
- Congratulations to the newly selected FST Peer Mentors for the 2016/17 academic school year! Ally Iwanski, Lynn Valentine, Alexandria Hall, Haley Orwig, Emily Krenbrink, Katherine Uhl and Anna Schmenk. They will be joining returning mentors Hallie Davidson, Ben Gerken, Erin Perelstine and Megan Hoehn.
- Congratulations to the 2016 Mid America Food Processors Association scholarship recipients Ally Iwanski, Clifford Park, Jace Metzcar, and Jeff Caminiti.
- Four teams with student members from FST are finalists in the FIC Food Fight competition. A Solution to Prevent Waste: Dehydrated Meal Starter Packet – Vanessa Egbo (plus others from Human Nutrition); Garden to Go Bars: Harsanye, Bellinger and Jennifer Marten; Ohio Sourced and Sauced: Jacob Farr, Greg Sigurdson, Peipei Tang; Savory Square Crackers: Katie Williamson, Grace Guo, Cathy Heil, Sarah Gray. Final judging will take place on April 19th.
- Valente Alvarez, Sheryl Barringer, Ken Lee, and Sudhir Sastry participated in a roundtable discussion as well as made individual presentations at the 2016 Congreso Internacional De Ingenieria Bioquimica in Veracruz Mexico.
- Bala Balasubramaniam served as a judge at the Central District Science Day which is an event where high school students from across the central Ohio region display their science research.
- Carolina Azcarate Espinosa (MS 2010) was recognized with the Young Professional Award at the 2016 CFAES Alumni Awards luncheon.
- Professor Herbert W Ockerman has received notice that he will be awarded his third university honorary degree by the University of Kentucky. He has previously been awarded honorary degrees from Poland and the Philippines. Dr. Ockerman has a courtesy appointment in our department.
- [Citation Needed] will be hosting author Kavin Senapathy on Tuesday, April 12th at 3:30 in the auditorium of the Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center. Kavin’s talk is titled “Science Communication is a Marathon, Not a Sprint.” Doors will open at 3:15 with a reception to immediately follow her presentation. All are welcome to attend. Click here to learn more.
April 7 CFAES Student Recognition Banquet
April 12 [Citation Needed] speaker Kavin Senapathy – 3:30 pm
Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center – reception to follow
May 6 FST Spring Semester Graduation Party
July 17 OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni Reception
Sept. 12-14 Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE)