You are here
Food Science and Technology News: June 2018 Highlights
- Congratulations to Dr. Robert Gravani who has been selected as the 2018 Harris Award recipient. Dr. Gravani is Professor Emeritus of Food Science in the Department of Food Science and Director Emeritus of the National Good Agricultural Practices at Cornell University. The 2018 Harris Award lecture will take place on Wednesday, November 7th at 4 pm in the Parker Food Science and Technology building, during our Autumn Food Science Seminar Series.
- Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona and Dr. Monica Giusti were keynote speakers at the 33rd Philippine Chemistry Congress, Manila, Philippines.
- Congratulations to Dr. Ken Lee who is one of three CFAES faculty members elected to The Ohio State University Faculty Council for the 2019-2021 term.
- A number of students and post docs recently presented research at the Annual Meeting of the American Dairy Science Association. Congratulations to Gonzalo Miyagusuku Cruzado who placed 1st in the Graduate Student Research Poster Competition and to Luis Real Hernandez who was selected to compete as a finalist in the Oral Research competition. Dr. Jimenez-Flores was recognized as the incoming ADSA Vice President during leadership installation.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk was featured in a CFAES Chow Line article about a Multistate Salmonella Outbreak involving pre-cut melons.
- Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona and Dr. Monica Giusti were invited to Bangkok to present their research at the School of Agricultural Resources, Chulalongkorn University, and the Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University. During this trip Dr. Rodriguez-Saona led a workshop on food authenticity.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam was part of a group that participated in the 2018 CFAES DC Days trip to Washington DC. The group traveled to Washington, D.C. to visit with federal agencies and program officers.
- This past month Dr. Jiyoung Lee was invited to speak about ‘Harmful Cyanobacterial Blooms: Linkage to Human Health and Beyond’ at the 2018 Science-Policy Confluence Conference: Great Lakes HABs: Science-Based Policy Solutions in Ann Arbor.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores has provided a webcast titled ‘Applying MFGM and Human Milk Science to Improve Nutrition for Infants and Toddlers’ to the Pediatric Nutrition continuing education organization. He was also a Key Note Speaker at the 7th Latin American Congress on Pediatrics and Selected Topics
- CFAES has featured a story on their website about recent FST graduate Anna Schmenk.
- The Food Industries Center held its annual Acidified Foods Better Process Control School this past month. This course satisfies the training requirements specified in FDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in acidified canned foods.
- Are you planning to attend the IFT Annual Meeting in July? Do not forget to purchase your ticket to the department’s annual OSU at IFT reception. The reception will be held on Monday, July 16th 6:00-7:30 p.m. in Williford B at the Hilton Chicago. This is a ticketed event and the cost of the ticket is $50.00. If you have already registered and just want to purchase a reception ticket only, you can purchase it by selecting the “Social Events” option in the Attendee Registration and Housing Links box on the home page of the registration site. You can also call registration customer service at 800.462.9440 to have tickets added to your existing registration. Also, be sure to stop by our booth at the Expo – we are booth #1261 (South Hall).
7/2 – 7/5 Better Process Control School (Spanish)
7/16 OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni reception
6:00 – 7:30 pm Williford B at the Hilton Chicago
7/23 – 7/24 Introductory HACCP
7/25 – 7/27 FSPCA – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
8/3 FST Spring Semester Graduation Party
2:30-3:30 Parker Food Science Lobby