- IFT17 was held in Las Vegas this month and our department was well represented during the annual meeting. We had over 30 students and faculty participating this year in some capacity that included, but not limited to, poster presentations, competition finalists, student leadership, panelists, and speakers. OSUFST highlights during the meeting included:
Dr. Denny Heldman received a special recognition award from Phi Tau Sigma
Peren Aykas placed 1st in the Fruits and Vegetable Division poster competition
Emily Holman placed 2nd in the Food Microbiology Division poster competition
Mei-Ling Shotts placed 2nd and Kevin Wong 3rd in the Quality Assurance Division poster competition
Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis received the Samuel Cate Prescott Award for Research
Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam received the Calvert L. Willey Distinguished Service Award
Matt Teegarden was recognized for his service as IFTSA president
Anna Schmenk placed 3rd in the Undergraduate Research competition
Mei-Ling Shotts received the Outstanding Volunteer Award for the Quality Assurance Division
Dr. Devin Peterson was part of a pre-event short course on Flavor Interactions in Foods
Dr. Ken Lee participated on the panel From Crispr to Syn Bio: Explaining Public Benefits and Safety of the Latest Food Technologies
Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam was part of the Emerging Applications of High Pressure Processing symposium
Mei-Ling Shotts was a panelist for the Ideal Food Material Specification discussion.
- Dr. Denny Heldman participated at the “Ask an Expert” Consultation Center during the recent Global Cold Chain Expo in Chicago.
- Dr. Ahmed Yousef and Dr. Abigail Snyder were recently featured by the College as two experts available to speak on the subject of Salmonella in relation to backyard poultry flocks. Click here for more information.
- Dr. Sheryl Barringer, Dr. Ahmed Yousef and former students Dr. Jennifer Perry and Alicia Smith received a Tanner Award for authoring the most-cited paper published in the Journal of Food Science: Sensory and Food Quality section in 2014. The paper is titled “Oven, Microwave, and Combination Roasting of Peanuts: Comparison of Inactivation of Salmonella Surrogate Enterococcus faecium, Color, Volatiles, Flavor, and Lipid Oxidation”.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores was featured in a video celebrating National Dairy Month. Click here to view the video.
- Dr. Monica Giusti and her research with antioxidants was recently featured in a CFAES #whyscience matters video. Click here to view the video.
- FST student Mackenzie Hannum posted in the IFTSA Science Meets Food blog an interview with IFT president John Coupland and IFTSA president Matt Teegarden. Click here for the blog.
August 4 FST Summer Graduation Party
2:30-3:30 pm Parker Food Science Lobby