You are here
// Food Science and Technology News : July 2020 Highlights
Food Science and Technology News : July 2020 Highlights
- Congratulations to Dr. Kathryn Boor on being selected the 2020 Harris Award recipient. Dr. Boor is the Ronald P. Lynch Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) at Cornell University. Stay tuned for her lecture and visit during Spring Semester 2021.
- Although the IFT Annual Meeting was virtual this year, there were a number of highlights from our department. Dr. Melvin Pascall was recognized as an IFT Fellow. Congratulations to our students who placed in the poster or oral division competitions: Ellia La – 1st, Kathryn Williamson – 2nd, Shuai Ren – 3rd in the Food Chemistry Division Oral Competition; Maria Cotter – 1st in the Sensory & Consumer Sciences Pangborn Division Oral Competition; Jennifer Janovick – 1st in the Carbohydrate Division Poster Competition; and Elliot Dhuey – 2nd in the Food Packaging Division Poster Competition. A program outlining FST’s participation in the virtual IFT Annual Meeting can be found here.
- Ohio State News featured Dr. Melvin Pascall and the study he is leading that examines how adding green tea extract to prepared foods may reduce the risk for norovirus. In a separate story, they also reported about early findings in a study of black raspberries that indicate potential relief with skin allergies. Funded by an Ohio State Foods for Health initiative, researchers on this study include Dr. Jessica Cooperstone.
- Dr. Jiyoung Lee is part of a team that has been awarded a $2 million grant from the Ohio EPA/ US Cares Act to study wastewater and COVID-19 surveillance in Ohio.
- The CFAES Chow Line recently featured the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention Center. The Chow Line also used Dr. Barb Kowalcyk as a resource for a story about not bleaching your food. Dr. Kowalcyk was also featured in Eater.com talking about precaution and risk while dining out during COVID-19.
- Congratulations to FST’s Ocean Spray product development team on being named a finalist in the Ocean Spray 2020 competition with their snack product ‘Cranchee.’ Team members include Yumin Xu (team captain), Danielle Voss, Yucheng Zhou, and Boluwatiwi Durojaye.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam, Dr. Ahmed Yousef, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, and Dr. Chris Simons, have collaborated with the US Department of Agriculture, the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, and Pressure BioSciences Inc.to create a video about the Ultra Shear Treatment of low acid liquid foods for an upcoming USDA NIFA meeting. The video is part of a USDA funded project.
- On July 27 – 31, the Food Industries Center trained FDA and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology virtual course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and the food industry, including the following faculty: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, Dr. Dennis Heldman, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, and Dr. Sudhir Sastry. The 4 ½ day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods.
- FST Fiscal Officer Eric Maul discusses balancing work and family during the pandemic as part of the Work in the Time of COVID series.
In This Issue: