You are here
// Food Science and Technology News : July 2019 Highlights
Food Science and Technology News : July 2019 Highlights
- We are pleased to announce the 2019 OSU FST Hall of Distinction recipients:
Dr. Dennis Heldman
Ms. Beth Kloos
Ms. Karen Milley
Dr. John Mount
Dr. Rodney Plimpton - posthumous
Dr. Henry Randolph - posthumous
Mark your calendar and plan to join us on October 4th as we recognize these individuals and their contributions to food science and technology as well as their support of our department and The Ohio State University. The ceremony and reception are slated to take place in the lobby of the Parker Food Science and Technology Building on the OSU campus from 4:00 – 5:30 pm.
- Many faculty and students from the department recently returned from participating in the International Association for Food Protection meeting.
Faculty presentations: Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk gave five different presentations two of which included "Utilizing Alternative Data Sources to Assess the Long-Term Health outcomes of Foodborne Disease" and "Developing a Risk based Framework for Food Safety in Low- and Middle-Income Countries". Dr. Abigail Snyder was a presenter in “The Role of Biofilm in Spoilage and Pathogen Contamination of Foods and Beverages: Critical Factors for Biofilm Formations, Removal, and Verification”. She was also a round table panelist in “Cottage Foods: Harmonizing Food Safety Practices for a Growing Entrepreneurial Industry”.
Graduate Student Poster Competition: Walaa Hussein placed first in the poster competition and the following students also presented posters: Emily Campbell, Yumin Xu, Yue Yi, Yadwinder Singh Rana, Shiyu Cai, and Nick Barone.
- Congratulations to Dr. Valente Alvarez and the Food Industries Center as they were selected for the Cochran Fellowship Program for Costa Rica, Pakistan, and Bosnia and Herzegovina – Overview of U.S. Food Safety and Regulatory Systems program (USDA-FAS-10962-0700-10.-19-0068).
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk, who currently serves as a member of the FDA’s science board, was recently on PBS News Hour to talk about food safety issues around growing meat from animal cells.
- Dr. Jessica Cooperstone was a featured expert in an article in Gizmodo about edible insects and antioxidants.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz testified before the joint legislative session at the Ohio State Fair on the significance of functional foods in promoting optimal health and reducing the risk of disease.
- Dr. Jiyoung Lee’s lab recently published Characterization of Cyanophages in Lake Erie: Interaction Mechanisms and Structural Damage of Toxic Cyanobacteria in the journal Toxins. Xuewen Jiang (MS from FST) is the first author and Seungjun Lee (MS from FST) is a co-author of the paper.
- Dr. VM Bala Balasubramaniam presented "Research Advances in Nonthermal Processing Technologies for Food" at the National Conference on Emerging Techniques in Food Processing, Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT) via online webinar.
Food Industries Center Program Specialist Steven Simmons was quoted in an article about clean food facilities in QA Magazine.
August 19 Welcome Back Lunch for FST faculty, staff, and students
12 noon Parker Food Science Lobby
September 18-19 Advanced HACCP for Meat and Poultry Processors
Registration and more information
In This Issue: