- Congratulations to Dr. Hamed Faridi who has been selected as the 2017 Harris Award recipient. The 2017 Harris Award lecture will take place on Wednesday, September 28th at 4 pm in the Parker Food Science and Technology building.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jessica Cooperstone who has accepted the position of Assistant Professor in Functional Food Biochemistry and Metabolomics. This is a joint appointment between OSU’s department of Horticulture and Crop Science and Food Science and Technology.
- Welcome to Matt DeBlieck, who is the department’s new Undergraduate Program Coordinator.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam and his lab recently published a study in the Springer Journal called “Food and BioProcess Technology”. The study is titled “Pressure-thermal kinetics of furan formation in selected fruit and vegetable juices. Food and Bioprocess Technology” and investigates kinetics of furan formation as a function of temperature, pressure, product acidity & composition & how furan formation can be minimized through processing.
- A study titled “Tomatoes protect against development of UV-induced keratinocyte carcinoma via metabolomic alterations” was published as an article in Scientific Reports this month. FST authors on the study included Dr. Jessica Cooperstone, Dr. Ken Riedl, PhD student Matt Teegarden, Dr. Morgan Cichon, and Dr. Steve Schwartz. The study received a lot of interest from various media outlets including WOSU public media, Reader’s Digest, U.K. Daily Mail, the Daily Beast, U.K. Express, NewBeauty Magazine, AOL.com, and U.S. News and World Report.
- Congratulations to Walaa Hussein for placing 2nd in the IAFP 2017 Three-Minute Thesis Student Competition. The competition took place at the recent International Association for Food Protection's Annual Meeting.
- CFAES Dean Cathann A. Kress hosted Ohio Congresswoman Joyce Beatty in a visit to our department where they met with Dr. Yael Vodovotz and learned about the Center for Advanced Functional Foods Research and Entrepreneurship (CAFFRE) and the commercialization of the Black Raspberry Confections.
- The Pelotonia: 2017 special edition of the OSUCCC Frontiers magazine features the researcher profile of FST's Dr. Yael Vodovotz.
- Ohio State public health student Igor Mrdjen presented research on harmful algae blooms and cancer and was honored with the Science Communication Award at Great Lakes Research Conference. The research was titled ““Evaluation of Cyanobacteria and Their Toxins in a Two-staged Model of Hepatocarcinogenesis,” and was part of a study that was co-authored, in part, by Dr. Jiyoung Lee.
August 4 FST Summer Graduation Party
2:30-3:30 Parker Food Science Lobby
August 21 FST Welcome Back Lunch
12:00-12:45 Parker Food Science Lobby
August 21 New Graduate Student Orientation
12:45-4:15 Parker 118
September 27 Harris Award Lecture with Dr. Hamed Faridi
4:00-5:00 Parker 118
October 2-3 FREC Annual Meeting
October 6 2017 FST Hall of Distinction Induction Ceremony and Reception
4:00 pm Parker Food Science Lobby