- Congratulations to FST students Simone Fishel, Jenna Fryer, Megan Gregg, Amber Zehringer who were named 2020 CFAES Distinguished Senior Award recipients. These students will be celebrated at the 2020 CFAES Distinguished Senior Awards Dinner Ceremony in March.
- The department’s Spring Seminar Series takes place on Wednesdays from 4-5 pm in Parker 118. The seminars are a mix of national experts brought in to share their knowledge, internal faculty from across the university, and graduate students presenting their latest research. Everyone is welcome to attend. Click here to view the full schedule of speakers.
- A recent issue of Refrigerated and Frozen Foods talks about successful industrialization of high-pressure processing and features some of the research of Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam (page 24).
- Congratulations to Dr. Monica Giusti who was recently elected president of the Organization of Hispanic/Latino Faculty and Staff at Ohio State.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz and her functional food research was featured on a recent segment of 10TV’s “Toward a Cancer Free World”.
- Dr. Devin Peterson will be the featured speaker at next month’s Columbus Science Pub. The Columbus Science Pub is an event that aims to present scientific issues in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere
- As a part of the sesquicentennial celebration of Ohio State, the Office Research has created a site where each week they are recognizing Ohio State Innovators. To date, Ahmed Yousef, Monica Giusti, and the drumstick have been highlighted. You can also read about the CFAES sesquicentennial scholars - two of which are FST students Mackenzie Hannum and Emily Kanney.
- FST grad student Elliot Dhuey talks about plant based meat in an IFT Science Meets Food blog.
- Members of Dr. Jiyoung Lee’s lab, including FST grad student Yuehan Ai, recently published a paper regarding “Drinking Water Treatment Residuals from Cyanobacteria Bloom-affected Areas and its impact on Agricultural Lands and crops” in Science of the Total Environment.
- The Ohio State News team presented the second annual “Coolest Science Story” award to Dr. Xiaoying Zhao, a postdoctoral researcher in Dr. Yael Vodovotz's lab.
- FST grad student Mackenzie Hannum and FST alumna Alex Pierce profile FST alumna Jhaelynn Elam on work as both an Entrepreneur curating food and travel experiences and a full time Scientist in the Food and Nutrition industry in the IFT Science Meets Food blog.
- Nominations are open for the 2020 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2020 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
February 5 FST Seminar Series, 4 pm Parker 118
Dr. Casey Hoy, Faculty Director, InFACT, the Initiative for Food and AgriCultural Transformation
February 12 FST Seminar Series, 4 pm Parker 118
Dr. Edward Richter, Chief Scientific Officer, Matrix Sciences
February 19 FST Seminar Series, 4 pm Parker 118
Dr. Matthias Klein, FST Assistant Professor
February 20 OVIFT Event at Hot Chicken Takeover North Market, Columbus- Speaker COO Hot Chicken Takeover
February 26 FST Seminar Series, 4 pm Parker 118
Dr. Ajay Sjah, FABE Associate Professor
March 4 OVIFT / CIFT Reception and Student Poster Competition
Nationwide Conference Center, Lewis Center, OH
March 7 2020 CFAES Alumni Awards Luncheon
March 24 CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum
March 31 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
May 1 Spring Semester FST graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 Parker Food Science lobby
May 6-8 Thermal Processing Short Course for Ready to Eat Meat Products