You are here
Food Science and Technology News : January 2019 Highlights
- We welcome Dr. Osvaldo Campanella to the department as the Carl E. Haas Endowed Chair in Food Industries. Dr. Campanella holds a degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina and a PhD in Food Engineering from the University of Massachusetts. He has served as faculty in the Department of Food Technology, Massey University where he focused his research on Food Engineering, Heat Transfer Modeling, Food Extrusion, Rheology and Dairy Technology. Professor Campanella was appointed at Purdue University in 1999 where he continued working on areas of Food Engineering and Rheology applied to biomaterials, notably and Thermal Processing until 2018.
- Dr. Chris Simons and the Sensory Evaluation Center was part of a story on WBNS Channel 10 regarding onions.
- Welcome to Ashley Soldavini who has joined our department as the Program Manager for the Sensory Evaluation Center. Ashley comes to us having spent 7 years as a Sensory and Consumer Insights Specialist at Nestlé, in Marysville.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz was recently quoted in an article in ‘Muse’ magazine about the chemistry of gluten-free baking. Click here to read.
- Dr. Monica Giusti’s research on natural colorants and her work with blue M&M’s was featured in the Ohio State Lantern. An article about the research was also in Columbus Business First.
- Dr. Brian Waters was featured talking about beer and the history of beer in a recently released YouTube video “For The Love Of Beer.”
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk was quoted in an article about food safety in Self.com.
- Dr. Abby Snyder contributed to a CFAES Chow Line story about food safety with meal kit delivery and food preparation services.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam will be a featured speaker during the IFT Live Webcast “Novel nonthermal processing technologies and their applications in fruit and vegetable products” on February 7th. Click here to register or to learn more.
- Congratulations to Food Business Management major Abby Newsom who has been named the 2019 W.T. Reece Scholarship recipient. The award is presented by the International Dairy Deli Bakery Association (IDDBA) each year to a student from The Ohio State University majoring in Food Business Management.
- Congratulations to FST senior Ayna Arora, who leads the entrepreneurial team ‘Humara Kitchen’, for placing first in a competition to pitch their business model to a panel of Columbus-area entrepreneurs at the Grand Finale Pitch Competition at Curl Market in November. As the winning team, they will move onto the regional round of the Hult Prize, which will take place in March. Click here to learn more about the team and the competition.
- The department’s Spring Seminar Series will take place on Wednesdays from 4-5 pm in Parker 118. The seminars will be a mix of national experts brought in to share their knowledge, internal faculty from across the university, and graduate students presenting their latest research. Everyone is welcome to attend. Click here to view the full schedule of speakers.
- The Food Industries Center offered an onsite Introductory HACCP training for The J.M. Smucker Company on January 30 -31, certifying employees through the International HACCP Alliance.
- Nominations are open for the 2019 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2019 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
Feb. 6-7 Dairy Lab Skills Enrichment Workshop
March 6 CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum
Nationwide 4-H Center Auditorium
March 26-28 Dairy Pasteurization and Maintenance Workshop
April 2 OVIFT Spring Research Poster Forum
4 pm Parker Food Science and Technology Lobby
April 9-11 Dairy 101: Introduction to Dairy Processing and Management
April 18 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center