You are here
Food Science and Technology News : January 2018 Highlights
- Congratulations to the following FST friends and Alumni who will be recognized during the 2018 CFAES Alumni Awards luncheon on March 4, 2018.
Meritorious Service Award
Dale Seiberling (`50, BS, `51, MS, Dairy Technology)
Young Professional Award
Nutsuda Sumonsiri (PhD (2012) Bang Sue, Bangkok, Thailand)
Distinguished Alumni Award
Rohini Desai Mulchandani (PhD (1976) Worthington, OH)
- American Dairy Association Mideast made a generous donation of $100,000 to the J.T. Stubby Parker Endowed Chair in Dairy Foods. These funds will go directly to keeping the dairy program sustainable for future students and research that is important to the dairy manufacturing industry.
- The department is hosting a spring seminar series. Click here for the full listing.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam has been appointed as the Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Food Process Engineering (JFPE), Wiley Publishers. Bala along with a team of five associate editors and an editorial board assume the editorial responsibilities of the journal from January 2018 onwards
- Congratulations to Dr. Valente Alvarez who received the Ohio JCEP 2017 DSA Ruby Award at this month’s OSU Extension Conference.
- Congratulations to PhD student Walaa Hussein who was selected as the winner of the Jessica Gavin 2018 essay contest. Click here to learn more.
- Congratulations to MS student Meredith Myers who has been inducted into Phi Tau Sigma, The Honor Society of Food Science and Technology. Also, Meredith has recently been selected to participate in The John Milner Nutrition and Cancer Prevention Research Practicum sponsored by the Nutritional Science Research Group, National Cancer Institute & the Department of Nutrition at the Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health which will be held in March.
- PhD student Matt Teegarden was recently featured on Ohio State’s website. Click here to read the story. Matt is also the host of a podcast through IFTNext. Episode 1 talks about Food Disruption and can be found here.
- Congratulations to undergraduate student Emily Kreinbrink on receiving an NCGA William C. Berg Academic Excellence in Agriculture Scholarship. She will travel to Anaheim, California at the end of February to be recognized. Click here to learn more.
- Dr. Ahmed Yousef talks about the proposed federal changes and how they'll affect egg processors in a recent Columbus Dispatch article. Click here for the article.
- Dr. Chris Simons talks about the science behind spicy cravings in Ohio State Insights. Click here to read it.
- Assistant professor and CFAES food safety specialist Dr. Abby Snyder recently edited two CFAES Chow Line articles. Click here to read the “raw” water article and click here to read the E. coli poisoning article.
- PhD student Mackenzie Hannum recently posted in the IFTSA blog Science Meets Food. Click here for the post.
2/7 FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training (Blended Course)
2/20 – 2/22 Dairy Pasteurization Workshop
2/22 Citation Needed Coffee Talk ‘Food Fraud’
2-3 pm Parker 311
3/1 CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4H Center
3/1 Ohio Food Industry Summit
Food Industry Summit
3/12 – 3/15 Better Process Control School
Better Process Control
3/17-3/18 FREC Survey of Flavor Science
FREC survey of flavor course
3/26 – 3/27 Introductory HACCP
3/28 – 3/30 FSPCA – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
4/5 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center