- Congratulations to Dr. Dennis Heldman who has been awarded the 2017 Minnesota section Harold Macy Food Science and Technology Award. Denny will be recognized during the Minnesota IFT meeting in March. The award, established in 1981, is given annually to recognize an outstanding example of food technology transfer or cooperation between scientists in academic, government, and private industry. The award honors Harold Macy, former Dean Emeritus of the University of Minnesota and a Founding Member of IFT. The awardee will be invited to address the Minnesota Section at the annual Macy Award meeting to be held in Minneapolis-St. Paul.
- Congratulations to FST Assistant Professor Dr. Chris Simons and graduate students Mengyuan Fan and Alexandra Pierce on being recently admitted into Phi Tau Sigma: Phi Tau Sigma is the Honor Society for food science and technology.
- Congratulations to the FST Ocean Spray Product Development team who has been selected as a competition finalist. They will travel to Ocean Spray Headquarters in April for the final presentation. Team members include: Mackenzie Hannum – team captain, Geoff Dubrow, Andrew Lodge, Meredith Myers, and Katie Williamson.
- Congratulations to FST postdoctoral researcher Greg Sigurdson on receiving an FST graduate student research award.
- Dr. Devin Peterson recently received a $73,765 University Collaboration Award through OARDC with the University of Wisconsin for the commercialization of hazelnuts for growers in the upper Midwest.
- FST faculty Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis and Dr. Devin Peterson are included in a recent CFAES article about the addition of Discovery Theme faculty hires by the College. Click here to read the article.
- Citation Needed, the FST science communicators club, was recently featured in a CFAES news release. Click here for the article.
- Dr. Sheryl Barringer’s research on flavor volatiles was recently highlighted by BBC.com. Click here to read the article. This research was also noted in the recent edition of the Ohio State Alumni magazine.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz wrote a piece titled “Understand food at a personal level” for the recent Ohio State Alumni magazine. The online edition of the magazine can be found here.
- Dr. Devin Peterson was a featured expert in Gizmodo Australia’s article “Why McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Tastes Like Tomato Sauce”.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam’s research on High Pressure Processing was recently featured in a CFAES news release and can be found here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Yael Vodovotz on her nomination as a 2016 Ohio State Innovator of the year
- Congratulations to the 40 FST students who were named to the Dean’s List for Fall Semester 2016. Students completing a minimum of 12 graded credit hours with a GPA of 3.5 or higher for any given term will be named to the Dean's List for that term in the college in which they are enrolled.
- The FST Food Science Club made two industry field trips during the recent Martin Luther King holiday. Over 25 students participated in the tours that day and they visited the Abbott-Sports Nutrition facility in Columbus and Wyandot Snacks in Marion.
- In collaboration with Quality Chekd Dairies, the Food Industries Center certified industry employees through the International HACCP Alliance during the Introductory HACCP Workshop on January 23-24.
- The Food Industries Center also hosted the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training on January 25-27 for FDA inspectors and industry employees. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA requirements for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
February 22-23, 2017 HTST Pasteurization Workshop
February 27-28, 2017 FST Graduate Recruitment Event
March 13-16, 2017 Better Process Control School
April 3-4, 2017 FREC Survey of Flavor Science, San Francisco
FREC short course
April 26-27, 2017 How to Prepare for an FDA or Third Party Plant Audit