- Congratulations to FST undergraduate students Meegan Gould, Thania Ortiz-Santiago, Lydia Tantalo, and Emily Thimmes who have been named 2022 CFAES Distinguished Seniors. They are four of the twenty-six seniors who have received the most prestigious undergraduate award at The Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES). The Distinguished Senior Award honors top graduating seniors on the Ohio State Columbus campus who exemplify the CFAES mission in areas such as academics and scholarship, research and innovation, service and involvement, and influence and leadership.
- CFAES News reported on the installation of ultra-shear technology in the department’s Advanced Technologies Pilot Plant. Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam is leading the project along with Dr. Ahmed Yousef, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, and Dr. Christopher Simons. The group plans to introduce an outreach program to food and beverage companies. Click here to learn more.
- Congratulations to Xiaoyan Tan who has recently been inducted into Phi Tau Sigma, the honor society of food science and technology. Xiaoyan is a master's student and is advised by Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona.
- Congratulations to our Food Science, Food Business Management, and Culinary Science students who were named to the CFAES Dean's List for the 2021 Autumn Semester. Click here to see the list of students.
- Dr. Kara Morgan, Associate Director of the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention (CFI) is the lead author of an article published in the Risk Analysis journal. She has also been appointed chair of the Advocacy and Governance Committee of INFORMS.
- Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led the Food Industries Center’s virtual Better Process Control School in Spanish on February 21-24, with lectures from Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, FST graduate student Brianda Gonzalez Orozco, and expert industry collaborators. This course received an international audience from Ecuador, Mexico, and the United States. Daily lectures were offered in microbiology, acidified and low-acid foods, container closures and handling, thermal processing, and recordkeeping. This course satisfies the training requirements specified in both the FDA and USDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in low-acid and acidified low-acid canned foods.
Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2022 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
- Nominations are open for the 2022 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- The department’s Spring 2022 seminar schedule is published on the FST website under ‘About Us’ and takes place on Wednesday’s from 4:00 pm -5:00 pm in Parker Food Science and Technology room 118 and also via Zoom. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the link to any of the seminars. All are welcome to attend.
March 2 Department Seminar
Student Presentations: Ariel Garsow and Jennifer Janovick
March 4 Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum
March 9 Department Seminar
Student Presentations: Kym Man and Shengyue Shan
March 14 – 18 The Ohio State University Spring Break
March 14 – 17 Food Industries Center Training Course
Better Process Control School
March 23 Department Seminar
Student Presentations: Ellia La and Xiaoyan Tan
March 24 CFAES State of the College
March 30 Department Seminar
Food Industry Professional Panel
April 6 Department Seminar
Student Presentations: Drew Barkley and Mrunmayee Joshi
April 11-14 CFAES Annual Research Conference
April 12 OVIFT/CIFT networking Event and Student Poster Competition
April 13 Department Seminar
Student Presentations: Elliot Dhuey and Fenfen Tang
April 19-20 Food Industries Center Training Course
April 20 Department Seminar
Student Presentations: Erica Grush and Audrey Kuei
April 26-28 Food Industries Center Training Course
FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
May 6 FST Spring Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 Parker Food Science and Technology Lobby