- Congratulations to FST undergraduate students Philip Eberly, Jacqui Fox, and Natalia Jaspeado Becerra who have been named 2021 CFAES Distinguished Seniors. They are three of the twenty-five seniors who have received the most prestigious undergraduate award at The Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES). The Distinguished Senior Award honors top graduating seniors on the Ohio State Columbus campus who exemplify the CFAES mission in areas such as academics and scholarship, research and innovation, service and involvement, and influence and leadership.
- Congratulations to Kym Man, Ivanett Barreto, and Dr. Hardy Castada who have recently been inducted into Phi Tau Sigma. Phi Tau Sigma (ΦΤΣ) is the Honor Society for Food Science and Technology. Kym is currently a PHD student in Food Science, Ivanett is a PhD student in Food Engineering and Hardy is a Post-Doctoral Researcher in the department.
- Dr. Lynn Knipe is part of a team of meat science specialists who have compiled a Meat Processing Business Tool Kit for people who are exploring the meat processing business. Designed as a decision-making aid for people exploring investing in or expanding a meat processing facility, this online tool kit can help entrepreneurs evaluate the business and navigate business planning. The Meat Processing Business Tool Kit is available on the OSU Meat Science Extension website.
- Dr. Jessica Cooperstone talks about her research and her Foundation for Food and Agriculture “New Innovator” award in a Q&A with the College.
- Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider was recently a guest on the Southern Ohio Farm Show to talk about her chocolate program at Ohio State. Click here to watch the episode.
- Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led the Food Industries Center’s virtual Better Process Control School in Spanish on February 8-11, with lectures from Dr. Osvaldo Campanella and expert industry collaborators. This course received an international audience from Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Spain, and the United States. Daily lectures were offered in microbiology, acidified and low-acid foods, container closures and handling, thermal processing, and recordkeeping. This course satisfies the training requirements specified in both the FDA and USDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in low-acid and acidified low-acid canned foods.
- Ohio State Foods for Health Senior Researcher Dr. Matt Teegarden is host of a newly released food show called “Tasting Columbus”. Click here to watch the first episode.
- Congratulations to our Food Science, Food Business Management, and Culinary Science students who were named to the CFAES Dean's List for the 2020 Autumn Semester. Click here to see the list of students.
- Nominations are open for the 2021 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
*The department’s Spring 2021 seminar schedule is published on the FST website under ‘About Us’ and takes place on Wednesday’s from 4:00 pm -5:00 pm via Zoom. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you would like the link to any of the seminars. All are welcome to attend.
March 3 FST Seminar Series
Student presentations: Amy Andes and Chengyu Gao
March 8-11 Food Industries Center Training Course
The Better Process Control School (virtual)
March 10 FST Seminar Series
Student presentations: Shuai Ren, Abigail Krentz, and Maggie Hroncich
March 17 FST Seminar Series
Student presentations: Wooju Kim, Brittany Miles, and Jessica Miao.
March 24 FST Seminar Series
Student presentations: Danielle Voss, Peyton Greenwood, Sydney Grouge, and Kuanrong Zhu.
March 31 – April 1 Ohio State Instructional Break
April 7 FST Seminar Series
Student Presentations: Katie Williamson, Aaron Beczkiewicz, and Shivani Badiger.
April 14 FST Seminar Series
Student presentations: Paulina Ongkowijoyo, Maria Cotter, Mitchel Hoysock, and Ashley Soldavini.
April 20-21 Food Industries Center Training Course
Introductory HACCP (virtual)
April 21 FST Seminar Series
Student presentations: Brianne Linne, Timothy Vazquez, Jenna McClure, and Yutong Li.
April 27-29 Food Industries Center Training Course
FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training (virtual)