You are here
Food Science and Technology News : February 2020 Highlights
- Congratulations to the following OARDC Award Recipients: Dr. Monica Giusti has been selected as the 2020 Senior Faculty Researcher of the Year Winner and Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona has been selected as the 2020 Innovator of the Year Award Winner. The awards will be formally presented at the CFAES Annual Research Conference, to be held on Tuesday April 21, 2020 from 9-2 pm at the Wooster Campus Conference Center in Wooster, Ohio.
- Dr. Melvin Pascall has been elected a Faculty Senator representing the College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences to the University Senate for a term starting Autumn 2020 through Spring 2023.
- Dr. Lynn Knipe has been selected to serve as a member of the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI), within the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS).
- The department was well represented at the 34th Hayes Graduate Research Forum. Congratulations to Brittany Miles – 1st place and Yumin Yu 3rd place in FAES oral competition; Abbie Sommer – 2nd place and Danica Berry Honorable Mention in FAES poster competition; Maria Cotter – 2nd place in Social and Behavioral Sciences poster competition; Walaa Hussein – 3rd place in Biological Sciences oral competition. Also, participating at the forum was Siying Fu, Amy Andes, Gary Closs Jr., Nicole Straathof, Michael Dzakovich, Ryan Hardika, Aaron Beczkiewicz, and Jerish Joyner Janahar.
- PhD student Katie Williamson was awarded the Ray Travel Award funded by Council of Graduate Students for travel to the MRFood 2020 conference in Aarhus, Denmark. She will be presenting an oral presentation titled: Valorization of apple pomace and characterization of its components with NMR spectroscopy.
- FST Grad student Abbie Sommer talks about bacon and sodium nitrate in IFTSA’s Science Meets Food blog titled “What’s in My Food? Bacon Edition.”
- Are you planning to attend the IFT Annual Meeting in July? Do not forget to purchase your ticket to the department’s annual OSU at IFT reception. The reception will be held on Monday, July 13th 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the Hilton Chicago. This is a ticketed event and the cost of the ticket is $20.00. If you have already registered and just want to purchase a reception ticket only, you can purchase it by selecting the “Social Events” option in the Attendee Registration and Housing Links box on the home page of the registration site. You can also call registration customer service at 800.462.9440 to have tickets added to your existing registration. Also, be sure to stop by our booth at the Expo – we are booth #S2149.
March 3 Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
300 Pomerane Hall
March 4 OVIFT / CIFT Reception and Student Poster Competition
Nationwide Conference Center, Lewis Center, OH
March 7 2020 CFAES Alumni Awards Luncheon
March 17 Gut Check: A Pressing Need for Paradigm Changes Around Gut Health.
6-8 pm at Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
March 21 CFAES Sesquicentennial Open House
Information and Registration
March 24 CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum
March 31 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
April 6-7 Introductory HACCP for Meat and Poultry Processors
April 30 OVIFT Annual Golf Outing, Top Golf, West Chester, OH
Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-ovift-golf-outing-at-topgolf-tickets-94665558233
April 31 OVIFT Annual Food Expo West Chester, OH
Register here: http://ovift.org/2020-Expo/
May 1 Spring Semester FST graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 Parker Food Science lobby
May 6-8 Thermal Processing Short Course for Ready to Eat Meat Products