You are here
Food Science and Technology News : February 2019 Highlights
- Congratulations to the following faculty on their 2019 IFT Achievement Award. Dr. Valente Alvarez will receive the Bor S. Luh International Award, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider will receive the Elizabeth Fleming Stier Award, Dr. Ahmed Yousef will receive the Gerhard Haas Award, Dr. Ken Lee will receive the Myron Solberg Award, and Dr. Monica Giusti will receive the William V. Cruess Excellence in Teaching Award. This is a record amount of awards won by a university in a single year and all of the award recipients will be aknowledged during the awards celebration at IFT19 in New Orleans on Sunday, June 2nd. Click here to learn more about these awards.
- Congratulations to FST students Kevin Berkowitz, Ashley Besancon, Lindsay Davis, and Sarah Steinbrunner who were named 2019 CFAES Distinguished Senior Award recipients! These students will be celebrated at the 2019 CFAES Distinguished Senior Awards Dinner Ceremony in March.
- Dr. Devin Peterson, Dr. Chris Simons, and Dr. Sheryl Barringer participated in a meeting with Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic and CFAES Dean Cathann A. Kress which included a tour of the Parker Food Science and Technology Building. The Prime Minister had an interest in food science at Ohio State and the university’s modern approaches to agricultural production.
- Congratulations to FST undergraduate student Kuanrong Zhu for placing first in the Area of Research: Emerging Technologies: Smartphones, Social Media Platforms and Beyond at the 2019 Denman Undergraduate Research Forum. Also representing our department at the Denman was Kevin Berkowitz and Mariah Cox.
- Dr. Jessica Cooperstone, Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis, and Dr. Devin Peterson are featured in an article "Applying Metabolomics to Food Research" that appeared in the February 2019 issue of Food Technology magazine.
- FST undergraduate student Sarah Steinbrunner and her product “Beannut Butter” was recently featured in a story by CFAES.
- Congratulations to Ayna Arora, Shengyue Shan, and Walaa Hussein on their induction into Phi Tau Sigma, the Honor Society of Food Science and Technology.
- Citation Needed hosted a webinar titled “GMO or GM-No?" A Different Kind of Conversation” for Ohio State's Your Plan For Health.
- Dr. Morley Stone, OSU senior vice president for research, met with CAFFRE Director Dr. Yael Vodovotz today to learn more about the work of the Center. He also spent time talking with students about their functional foods research. These visits are part of Dr. Stone’s Research Fridays program.
- Dr. Monica Giusti was featured as one of the 'Great Inventors from Ohio State' for her research in natural colors.
- Dr. Valente Alvarez collaborated with Quality Chekd Dairies to offer the Dairy Lab Skills Enrichment Workshop on February 6 - 7. Through this industry workshop, participants built upon their knowledge of laboratory best practices to develop their skills related to sampling, testing, monitoring, verification, corrective action, troubleshooting, and management of records. In addition to classroom instruction, Gary Wenneker, Matt Chrusciel, and industry experts led hands-on sessions for sampling and lab techniques.
- Dr. Brian Waters recently presented during the Columbus American Society of Chemists meeting.
- Nominations are open for the 2019 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2019 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
- Are you planning to attend the IFT Annual Meeting in June? Do not forget to purchase your ticket to the department’s annual OSU at IFT reception. The reception will be held on Monday, June 3rd 6:30-8:00 p.m. in Gallerie 5 at the New Orleans Marriott. This is a ticketed event and the cost of the ticket is $50.00. If you have already registered and just want to purchase a reception ticket only, you can purchase it by selecting the “Social Events” option in the Attendee Registration and Housing Links box on the home page of the registration site. You can also call registration customer service at 800.462.9440 to have tickets added to your existing registration. Also, be sure to stop by our booth at the Expo – we are booth #3931.
March 6th CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum
1 – 3 pm Nationwide 4-H Center Auditorium
March 6th FST Seminar Tasha M. Santiago-Rodriguez, PhD
Microbiome Discovery Analyst, Diversigen, Inc.
4 – 5 pm Room 118 Parker Food Science
March 26th CIFT / OVIFT Networking Reception Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center
Click here for tickets
March 26-28th Dairy Pasteurization and Maintenance Workshop
April 2nd OVIFT Spring Research Poster Forum
4 pm Parker Food Science and Technology Lobby
April 3rd OVIFT New Professionals: An Evening with Cameron Mitchell
April 9-11th Dairy 101: Introduction to Dairy Processing and Management
April 18th Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
April 25th OVIFT Annual Suppliers Expo
Register to exhibit, sponsor, or attend
May 3rd FST Spring Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 pm Parker Food Science Lobby