You are here
Food Science and Technology News : February 2018 Highlights
- The Ohio State University Board of Trustees has approved establishment of the William and Sandra Hildebolt Innovation and Entrepreneurial Endowed Fund. The annual distribution from this fund shall be used to promote student innovation and entrepreneurial activities in the Department of Food Science & Technology.
- Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis and Dr. Dennis Heldman both had their proposed research projects recently funded through Seeds: The OARDC Research Enhancement Competitive Grants Program.
- Dr. Sheryl Barringer talks about the challenges of analyzing flavors in an article in Lab Manager. Click here for the article.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk and Dr. Abby Snyder offer some sources for information about food safety and nutrition as you consider dining out in a recent CFAES ‘Chow Line.’
- A research article co-authored by Dr. Denny Heldman talks about whether or not it is ok to drink your milk past the sell-by date on the carton. Click here to read more.
- Congratulations to the FST product development team of Josh Song, Kevin Berkowitz, Kelly Deatherage, and Megan Gregg for placing second in the American Society of Baking Product Development Competition.
- Congratulations to the FST product development team of Elliot Dhuey, Rachel Chen, Megan Kesler, Yuko Nishikawa, and Amanda Sia on their second place finish in the Fiberstar Citri-Fi 125 Innovation Contest.
- Congratulations to the FST product development team of Yucheng Zhou, Gonzalo Miyagusuku Cruzado, Stelios Sarantis, Feiran Yu, Xiaoyi Zhu for being named a top six finalist in the National Dairy Council New Product Competition. Good luck in the next round of competition!
- Congratulations to undergraduate students Philip Eberly and Madison Fomich who have been selected as members of the CFAES Ambassador team.
- Congratulations to undergraduate students Jessica Callahan and Jack Gothier who have been selected as CFAES Peer Mentors. As peer mentors for the College, they will work with first year students and students in transition for academic year 2018-2019.
- PhD student Mackenzie Hannum offers a review of Netflix’s new food documentary ‘Rotten’ in the latest IFTSA Science Meets Food Blog. Click here to read it.
- FST alum Dr. Bill Hildebolt has co-written a book with Arts & Sciences alum Bonnie Bajorek Daneker on how Prego spaghetti sauce came to be on supermarket shelves. Sales of the book go to Ohio State student scholarships. Click here to learn more.
- Heather Dean from the Food Industries Center talks about the Food Safety Hotline in a recent CFAES 'Chow Line'.
- Nominations are open for the 2018 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are also being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2018 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
3/1 CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4H Center
3/1 Ohio Food Industry Summit
Food Industry Summit
3/2 Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum
The Ohio Union
3/12 – 3/15 Better Process Control School
Better Process Control
3/17-3/18 FREC Survey of Flavor Science
FREC survey of flavor course
3/26 – 3/27 Introductory HACCP
3/27 Ohio Valley Section of IFT & FoodSURE Spring Research Forum & Poster Competition
4:30 Parker Food Science Lobby
3/28 – 3/30 FSPCA – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training
4/3 Richard J. and Martha D. Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
The Ohio Union
4/5 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center