You are here
Food Science and Technology News : February 2016 Highlights
- A number of our graduate students gave oral presentations and presented posters at this year’s Hayes Graduate Research Forum. Oral presentations were made by Jacob Farr, Alexa Lans, Rebecca Liu, Matt Teegarden, Xu Yang, and Peipei Tang. Poster presentations were made by Helen Bunker, Erica Cramer, Hao Wang, Yang Zhou, and Mengyuan Fan. Congratulations to Xu Yang for his 2nd place finish in the oral presentations and to Helen Bunker for her 3rd place in the poster presentations.
- Our department was well represented at the 2016 CFAES Undergraduate Research Forum. The following students presented their research: Mackenzie Hannum, Rachel LaRue, Fiona Liu, Lindsay Moeller, Meredith Myers, and Katie Williamson. Congratulations to Meredith Myers for her first place finish.
- Congratulations to FST senior Rachel Townsley for being named a CFAES Outstanding Senior! The 2016 CFAES Outstanding Seniors will be recognized at the annual recognition banquet which will be held on Thursday, April 7th in the Ohio Union Ballroom.
- Congratulations to the DRI product development team. Their product “Moobites” has been named a top six finalist in the National Dairy Council New Product Competition. Members of the team are Jingxin Guo (captain), Yang Song, Xu Yang, James Stone, Mengyuan Fan, and Qianying Yao.
- The next event for [Citation Needed] will be Tuesday, March 1 in Parker Food Science Building, Room 118. Food will be served at 5 and the program will begin at 5:30. We will have a panel discussion with of B.J. Eick, from Herdmark Media, and two students from the group “Don’t Eat the Pseudoscience”. They will provide their own unique perspectives on using video to communicate about food and agriculture and take part in a Q&A session with the audience. Click here to learn more.
- If you are planning on attending the 2016 IFT Annual Meeting this summer in Chicago be sure to get your ticket to the OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni reception. Registration for IFT16 opens March 1.
- Bala Balasubramanian was interviewed as a part of an article "High pressure is rising" that was published in the recent Independent Processor trade magazine. Click here to read more.
- The IFT Nonthermal Processing Division hosted a Webcast on February 25th where over 70 IFT members attended. The topic was "Extended Shelf-Life Foods – Ensuring food safety through high pressure based technological solutions" and presenters included FST faculty Ahmed Yousef and Bala Balasubramaniam. The webcast is now available online and free to IFT members. Click here to learn more.
March 1 [Citation Needed] video editing panel discussion
March 1 Registration opens for 2016 IFT Annual Meeting
March 2 Mid America Food Processors Association Annual Meeting
March 7-8 FST Graduate Recruitment Event
March 14-16 Better Process Control School
March 29-30 HTST Pasteurization Workshop
May 6 FST Spring Semester Graduation Party
May 18-19 Syft Users Meeting
July 17 OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni Reception
Sept. 12-14 Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE)