- The department has received the International HACCP Alliance accreditation for the spring semester HACCP class. Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider is the course instructor. Upon completion of the students will now receive a HACCP training certificate.
- The department recently had the opportunity to host Stephen Ostroff, M.D., the FDA's Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Ostroff was able to tour our facility and meet with faculty to give him a better understanding of our department and our capabilities.
- PhD student Matt Teegarden was one of three students recently featured in the Winter 2017-18 issue of the CFAES Continuum. Click here to access the full issue.
- Recent MS graduate, Xuewen Jiang has been recently selected as a recipient of the 2017 Best student poster award from the International Association of Great Lakes Research (IAGLR).
- Recent PhD graduate, Dr. Alex Pierce Feldmeyer wrote about the connection of food aroma and human nostalgia for the IFTSA Science Meets Food blog. Click here for the full post.
- Congratulations to PhD student Matt Teegarden who was recognized with an Outstanding Graduate Research Award during fall semester.
- Congratulations to the FST product development team of Joshua Song, Megan Gregg, Kelly Deatherage, and Kevin Berkowitz! They’ve been named a finalist in the American Society of Baking’s 2018 Product Development Competition. They will attend the final round of competition at the annual ASB Product Development Competition in February in Chicago, Ill.
- FoodS.U.R.E. coordinators, Dr. Greg Sigurdson and PhD student Brittany Miles, hosted an alumni panel for the students currently enrolled in the FST undergraduate research program FoodS.U.R.E. FST alumni Jenna Wlotzko Maly, Anastasia Purgianto, and Dr. Abigail Snyder shared their undergraduate research experiences with the students and answered questions. Click here to learn more about FoodS.U.R.E.
- The Food Industries Center hosted the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training on December 6 – 8. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA requirements for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- The 18th annual State FFA Food Science Contest was recently held in the Parker Food Science and Technology Building. 1,291 students initially competed in the contest and this was narrowed to 76 high school students from 19 schools at the state level. The superintendents of the contest are FST alumni Jenny Guilford, Regulatory Manager at SensoryEffects, and Maria Ruhlman, Senior Product Development Scientist at the Kellogg Company. Many food science students helped put on this event. The top four scoring students receive scholarships to attend OSU.
1/22 Introduction to Food Science Essentials (Online Course)
Introduction to Food Science
2/7 FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training (Blended Course)
2/20 – 2/22 Dairy Pasteurization Workshop
3/12 – 3/15 Better Process Control School
Better Process Control
3/26 – 3/27 Introductory HACCP
3/28 – 3/30 FSPCA – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training