Congratulations to the following FST friends and Alumni who will be recognized during the 2017 CFAES Alumni Awards luncheon on March 4, 2017.
Meritorious Service Award
John C. “Jack” Fisher (’67 & ’69, Animal Sciences)
Dan Wampler (’80 & ’83 Food Technology, Horticulture)
Young Professional Award
Chanun Mo Somboonvechakarn (’09, MS & ’07, BS, Food Science and Technology)
William Hildebolt (’65, ’67 & ’69 Food Science and Technology, Horticulture)
- Congratulations to the FST product development team of Ayna Arora, Jessica Miao, and Morgan Whitecotton. They’ve been named a finalist in the American Society of Baking’s 2017 Product Development Competition. They will attend the final round of competition at the annual ASB Product Development Competition on February 27-28 in Chicago, Ill.
- The December issue of Food Technology magazine features FST's Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam and Dr. Ahmed Yousef and their work in high pressure processing. Click here to access the article.
- Also in the December issue of Food Technology magazine is a recap of the 2016 Harris award lecture with Dr. Herbert Stone. Click here to access the article.
- Dr. Sheryl Barringer and Dan Barringer recently established the Barringer Food Science & Technology Study Abroad Scholarship Fund. This unrestricted endowment shall be used to provide study abroad scholarship support to students studying in the Department of Food Science & Technology.
- Congratulations to Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam who has been awarded the 2016 Asian Institute of Technology Alumni Association (AITAA) Distinguished Alumni award in the category of Academic and Research Excellence.
- The Ohio Soybean Council awarded $50,000 to Dr. Monica Giusti for her grant titled Stabilization and color enhancement of anthocyanins by isoflavones.
- Dr. Ahmed Yousef was recently recognized for 25 years of dedicated service to The Ohio State University and Dr. Steve Schwartz was recognized for 20 years of dedicated service to The Ohio State University.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores was recently featured talking about eggnog during the CFAES 12 days of experts during the month of December. Click here to view the video.
- The Ohio Department of Education together with Dr. Monica Giusti and Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona put together a full day workshop for high school science teachers: Science and Technology of Food: Course Professional Development. Assistant Professor Dr. Chris Simons, Post Doc Dr. Greg Sigurdson and PhD candidate Jacob Farr from FST also contributed with lectures.
- Dr. Monica Giusti was an invited speaker at the 2016 IACM Global Color Conference of the International Association of Color Manufacturers in Washington DC with the talk: Establishing Standards on Colors from Natural Sources – Recommendations from an Expert Panel. A white paper will be published with the recommendations.
- The 17th annual State FFA Food Science Contest was recently held in the Parker Food Science and Technology Building. 1,194 students competed at district, narrowed to 80 high school students from 20 schools at the state level. The superintendents of the contest are OSU Food Science alumni Emily Adams, OSU Extension Educator Agriculture and Natural Resources in Coshocton County, Jenny Guilford, Regulatory Manager at SensoryEffects, and Maria Ruhlman, Senior Product Development Scientist at the Kellogg Company. The top four scoring students receive scholarships to attend OSU.
January 23-24, 2017 Introductory HACCP
January 25-27 PCQI Training: Preventive Controls for Human Food
February 22-23, 2017 HTST Pasteurization Workshop
March 13-16, 2017 Better Process Control School
April 3-4, 2017 FREC Survey of Flavor Science, San Francisco
FREC short course