Food Science and Technology News: December 2021 Department Highlights
// Food Science and Technology News: December 2021 Department Highlights
- Dr. Monica Giusti has been named a 2021 CFAES Distinguished Professor. The title of Distinguished Professor of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences honors colleagues at the rank of Professor who have excelled in teaching, research, or outreach/engagement, and whose work has demonstrated significant impact on their fields, students, CFAES, and University, and/or the public. It is essential that such professorships are reserved for the most distinguished faculty.
- In addition, CFAES has announced the 2021-2022 Faculty and Staff Award recipients. Congratulations to the following from our department:
Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores - 2021-2022 Innovator of the Year Award
Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona - 2021-2022 Distinguished Teacher Award
Dr. Brian Waters - 2021-2022 Distinguished Teaching by a Lecturer Award
Dr. Monica Giusti - 2021-2022 Distinguished Graduate Student Mentor Award
Molly Davis – CFAES Staff Advisory Council Key Values Award
All award recipients will be recognized during the 2022 State of the College on January 28th.
- The department hosted their annual graduation party for our FST graduates and celebrated 9 undergraduate students, 4 Masters students, and 5 PhD’s during the autumn semester. We also published a special edition graduation newsletter that gave the graduates a chance to share some of their favorite memories as well as acknowledge some of the people who supported them. Congratulations and best of luck to our newest alumni.
- Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores and the students in his lab created two Ohio State themed flavors of ice cream to commemorate the investiture of Ohio State University President Kristina M. Johnson. Click here to read the story. FST students and staff involved in the project include Erica Kosmerl, Ronald Melendrez, Grayson Craig, Celeste Miller, Holly Huellemeier, Silvette Ruiz-Ramirez, Israel Garcia-Cano, Diana Rocha-Mendoza, Carlos Sanabria, and Gary Wenneker.
- Dr. Jiyoung Lee is an investigator on Ohio State’s Global One Health Initiative (GOHi) and they have recently been awarded funding from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to enhance detection, response and prevention of antimicrobial resistance and associated health threats in hospitals in Ethiopia.
- The CFAES Knowledge Exchange recently featured research from Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam, FST grad student Hyeon Woo Park, FST post doc Dr. Jie Xu and Dr. Abigail Snyder from Cornell. They found sanitizing peanut butter processing equipment with superheated steam reduced microbes in hard-to-reach spaces. Click here to read the story.
- On December 13-17, the Food Industries Center trained FDA, NOAA, U.S. Army, and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology virtual course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and the food industry, including numerous staff and graduate students, and the following faculty: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Sheryl Barringer, Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, and Dr. Sudhir Sastry. The 5 day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods.
- Nominations are open for the 2022 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
In This Issue: