You are here
Food Science and Technology News : December 2019 Highlights
- Congratulations to two FST alumni who have been selected as 2020 CFAES Alumni Award honorees. Dr. Bill Hildebolt has been seletced to receive a CFAES Meritorious Service Award and Dr. Robert Joseph was selected to receive a Distinguished Alumni Award. The award recipients will be honored at the CFAES Alumni Awards Luncheon on March 7th at the Fawcett Event Center in Columbus.
- Congratulations to Dr. Devin Peterson who was named a Distinguished Professor of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences. The title was bestowed on a competitive basis to four full professors who have excelled in teaching, research, or outreach/engagement. In addition, their work has significantly impacted their fields, students, college, university, and/or the public. Click here to learn more.
- Ohio State launched a crowdfunding campaign for CFI in honor of Dr. Barb Kowalcyk son Kevin’s birthday on December 10th. The project ends on January 9th.
- Congratulations to FST’s Matt Chrusciel for being selected to receive the 2019 Staff Advisory Council’s Key Values Award. This service award is for dedication, cooperation and positive attitudes in the workplace. Matt will receive the award and be formally recognized at the CFAES State of the College Address on Friday January 10th.
- The story about biodegradable plastic research in Dr. Yael Vodovotz's lab has been nominated as a finalist in Ohio State's second-annual "Coolest Science Story of the Year.
- FST Grad students Amanda Sia, Abbie Sommer and Mackenzie Hannum interview IFT’s Chief Scientific Officer Maria Velissariou in the IFTSA Science Meets Food blog.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz’s research on soy and berries was featured in a video blog by the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center. Click here to view.
- The 20th annual State FFA Food Science Contest was recently held in the Parker Food Science and Technology Building. This portion of the contest included 80 high school students from 20 schools at the state level. The superintendents of the contest are FST alumni Jenny Guilford and Anna Schmenk of Sensory Effects, and Maria Ruhlman, of the Kellogg Company. The volunteer efforts were spearheaded by FST undergraduate Phillip Eberly with many food science students helping to put on this event. The top four scoring students receive scholarships to attend OSU.
January 8 FST Spring Seminar Series
4-5 pm, Parker 118; 1/8 seminar for enrolled students only
January 10 CFAES State of the College Address
Register at: go.osu.edu/SOC20RSVP
Watch live at: go.osu.edu/SOC20
January 15 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Rattan Lal, CFAES Distinguished Professor of Soil Science
4-5 pm, Parker 118
January 22 FST Seminar Series
4-5, Parker 118
January 22 OVIFT's Annual Freestore FoodBank Volunteer Event Cincinnati
January 29 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Jasna Kovac, Assistant Professor, Department of Food Science, Pennsylvania State University
4-5 pm, Parker 118
February 5 FST Seminar Series
Dr. Casey Hoy, Faculty Director, InFACT, the Initiative for Food and AgriCultural Transformation
4-5, Parker 118
February 20 OVIFT Event at Hot Chicken Takeover North Market, Columbus- Speaker COO Hot Chicken Takeover
March 4 OVIFT / CIFT Reception and Student Poster Competition
Nationwide Conference Center, Lewis Center, OH