You are here
Food Science and Technology News : August Highlights
- We welcomed two new faculty members to the department in August – Dr. Emmanuel Hatzatkis and Dr. Devin Peterson. Dr. Hatzakis is an Assistant Professor and comes to us from Penn State University, where he used Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) to analyze fish oil, among other things. Professor Devin Peterson comes to us from the University of Minnesota, where his research focused on food flavor and related flavor chemistry. He also started FREC, the Flavor Research and Education Center, which he has brought with him to OSU.
- This semester we welcomed 26 new students into our graduate program. As of fall 2016, our department has 185 undergraduate students and 73 graduate students enrolled in our program.
- Dr. Ahmed Yousef was recently featured in both print and broadcast media as a food safety expert regarding recent listeria problems. Click here to read the article in the Columbus Dispatch and click here to access his interview on WOSU radio.
- Congratulations to Dr. Emmanuel Hatzakis and Dr. Jiyoung Lee on their acceptance into the Phi Tau Sigma Food Science Honorary Society.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam was inducted as a 2016 Fellow of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST). The induction ceremony will be held as a part of IUFOST meeting in Dublin, Ireland.
- Adjunct Faculty member Dr. John Litchfield received the University’s Distinguished Service Award during the 2016 Summer Commencement.
- FST Chair Dr. Sheryl Barringer and FST student Vanessa Egbo have been selected to serve on the search committee for the next vice president for agricultural administration and dean of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.
Sept. 12-14 Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE)
To Register: Conference of Food Engineering
October 26-27 Survey of Flavor Science
To Register: Survey of Flavor Science
October 28 Harris Award Lecture, 2016 Harris Award Recipient Dr. Herbert Stone
2 pm in Parker 118