- We are pleased to announce the 2020 OSU FST Hall of Distinction Inductees:
Ms. Shirley Bartee
Ms. Angela Cauley
Dr. Mario Ferruzzi
Mr. Robert Ramseyer
Dr. Walter Slatter - posthumous
Mark your calendar and plan to join us on November 4th as we recognize these individuals and their contributions to food science and technology as well as their support of our department and The Ohio State University.
- Dr. Lynn Knipe has been appointed to the USDA National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection.
- Dr. Jessica Cooperstone was one of eight early-career scientists selected nationally to receive a 2019 New Innovator Award from the Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research (FFAR).
- Dr. Jiyoung Lee and PhD student Yuehan Ai were part of an article in the Columbus Dispatch about testing raw sewage to predict COVID-19 hotspots. The research is supported by $2 million in federal CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act funding.
- PhD student Abbie Sommer talks about the benefits of online conferences in Science Meets Food.
- In a year when much of the news has been negative, many undergraduates in the Department of Food Science and Technology (FST) will begin the academic year on a more positive note. FST’s substantial scholarship program awarded $185,250 to its undergraduates for the 2020-21 year. Click here to see a complete list of the awardees.
- On August 10 – 14, the Food Industries Center trained FDA and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology virtual course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and the food industry, including the following faculty: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Sheryl Barringer, Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, Dr. Dennis Heldman, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, and Dr. Sudhir Sastry. The 4 ½ day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods.
- *The department’s Autumn 2020 seminar schedule is published on the FST website and takes place on Wednesday’s from 4-5 via Zoom. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the link to any of the seminars. All are welcome to attend.
September 2 FST Seminar
Dominiece Hoelyfield, Diversity Program Manager, OSU Graduate School
September 9 FST Seminar
FST Centers at Ohio State: Mission and Aims
CAFFRE and Multidisciplinary Applied Collaborative - Dr. Yael Vodovotz; Food Innovation Center - Dr. Ken Lee; Center for Foodborne Illness - Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk.
September 16 FST Seminar
FST Centers at Ohio State: Mission and Aims cont.
CAPPS - Dr. Dennis Heldman; Flavor Research and Education Center - Dr. Devin Peterson; Food Industries Center - Dr. Valente Alvarez; Sensory Evaluation Center - Dr. Chris Simons.
September 23 FST Seminar
Dr. Katrina Cornish, OSU Dept. Horticulture and Crop Science
September 30 FST Seminar
Scott May, Head of MISTA at Givaudan Flavors
October 20 Cleaning and Sanitation Basics
October 21-22 Advanced CIP