You are here
Food Science and Technology News : August Highlights
- We are pleased to announce the 2017 OSU FST Hall of Distinction recipients:
Mr. David H. Brown
Dr. Surinder Kumar
Mr. John Miller
Mr. Donald Schriver
Mr. Timothy Smucker
Dr. James Harper - posthumous
Mark your calendar and plan to join us on October 6th as we recognize these individuals and their contributions to food science and technology as well as their support of our department and The Ohio State University. The ceremony and reception is slated to take place in the lobby of the Parker Food Science and Technology Building on the OSU campus from 4:15 – 5:45 pm.
- Join the FST Food Science Club and the food and agricultural science communication club Citation Needed, for a screening of the documentary, Food Evolution. This film, directed by Academy Award nominee Scott Hamilton Kennedy and Narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson, explores controversy around the science of food through the lens of the debate over genetically engineered foods. Following the screening, UC Davis geneticist Dr. Alison van Eenennaam, a prominent subject in the film, will facilitate a discussion about controversies in science and agriculture. The event will take place at 6:30 pm on Wednesday, October 18th in the Archie Griffin West Ballroom at the Ohio Union. Learn more about the event and express your interest in attending at https://u.osu.edu/citationneeded/events/
- The department has launched a Seminar Series that will take place on Wednesdays from 4-5 pm in Parker 118. The seminars will be a mix of national experts brought in to share their knowledge, internal faculty from across the university, and graduate students presenting their latest research. Everyone is welcome to attend. Click here for the fall semester schedule.
- Dr. Monica Giusti and PhD student Jacob Farr have developed software to allow color to be calculated from spectral data, called ColorBySpectra.
- Congratulations to Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores who has been inducted into Phi Tau Sigma, The Honor Society of Food Science and Technology.
- September is Food Safety month and Dr. Abby Snyder was featured in a CFAES article about food safety practical tips. Click here for the article.
- Dr. Dennis Heldman’s research on shelf life indicators was featured in a CFAES article about the OSU Food Waste Collaborative Conference. Click here to read the article.
- Alba Claudia Mayta Apaza, a PhD student of Dr. Jiyoung Lee, spent the summer in Nicaragua for conducting a study about infants and children gut microbiome development. Click here to read the story.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam is a part of the International Scientific Committee for Cornell University's International Symposium on "Validation of Nonthermal Technologies" which will take place October 29-31. Click here the agenda or for registration information.
- PhD student Alex Pierce posted in the IFTSA Science Meets Food blog a story about meal subscription plans. Click here for the blog.
- PhD student Geoff Dubrow recently participated in the 2017 Unleash Lab in Denmark, in which 1000 people from around the world were flown to Denmark to find solutions to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- The week of August 14-19, the Phytochemicals Laboratory lead by Dr. Monica Giusti hosted a team of scientists from the Philippine Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI), the Philippine Council for Industry, Energy, and Emerging Technology Research and Development (PCIEERD) and other institutions for an intensive hands-on course: Natural Dyes and Food Colorants R&D Program. Dr. Greg Sigurdson and other members of the Phytochemicals Lab team contributed with lectures and laboratory activities.
- The Food Industries Center was selected by FDA to train their Regional Milk Specialists and state inspectors on the Preventive Controls for Human Food Training on August 8 – 10. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This course has been taught to all sectors of the food industry, and the inspectors who took the course will have the same language as the industry employees.
September 15 Ohio State’s Food Waste Collaborative Conference
September 26-27 HTST Maintenance Workshop
September 27 Harris Award Lecture with Hamed Faridi
4:00-5:00 Parker 118
October 2-3 FREC Annual Meeting
October 4-5 CAPPS Fall Meeting
October 6 Hall of Distinction Event
4:15 Parker Food Science and Technology Lobby
October 10-12 Introduction to Dairy Processing and Management
October 18 Food Evolution Free Screening Event
October 31 Cleaning and Sanitation Basics
November 1-2 Advanced CIP