You are here
// Food Science and Technology News : April/May 2020 Highlights
Food Science and Technology News : April/May 2020 Highlights
- The department graduated 33 undergraduate students, 9 Masters students, and 2 PhD’s during the spring semester. The department hosted a virtual graduation party to recognize the graduates. Congratulations and best of luck to our new alumni.
- OSU Executive Vice President and Provost, Dr. Bruce McPheron recently awarded Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider the 2020 Provost’s Award for Distinguished Teaching by a Lecturer. The Provost’s Award for Distinguished Teaching by a Lecturer annually recognizes a maximum of six lecturers, senior lecturers, or other associated faculty members for their teaching excellence.
- Congratulations to three of our faculty members – Dr. Sheryl Barringer, Dr. Ken Lee, and Dr. Ahmed Yousef - on being named 2020 Fellows of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST). Fellows are acknowledged by their peers as outstanding representatives of international food science and technology.
- Congratulations to Dr. Melvin Pascall who was selected as a 2020 IFT Fellow. The Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Fellow designation is an honor bestowed upon an IFT member by their peers to recognize exemplary professionalism in the field of food science. To receive this distinction, you must first be nominated by your peers and then elected. He will be recognized during IFT’s virtual conference, SHIFT20 July 12-15.
- Congratulations to Dr. Brian Waters on receiving the North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Educator Award. He will be recognized during their virtual conference this June. One of the central purposes of NACTA is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education.
- The CFAES annual Celebration of Students Award Banquet could not be held as planned this year. However, there were several students and clubs in our department who were recognized with a CFAES award: CFAES Internship Award – Lydia Tantalo; Leadership and Professional Development Award – Citation Needed; Student Organization Collaboration Award – Food Science Club; Newcomb Scholar Rank 4 – Megan Gregg; FST Distinguished Seniors – Simone Fishel, Jenna Fryer, Megan Gregg, Amber Zehringer
- The College held their annual research conference virtually this year and recognized Dr. Monica Giusti as the Senior Faculty Researcher of the Year and Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona as the Innovator of the Year. Post Doc Dr. Jie Xu placed 3rd at the CFAES Research Conference poster competition. Other participants from the department in the poster competition included: (MS category) Ronald Alvarez, Courtney Littlefield, Ryan Hardika, Nicole Straathof, Danielle Voss, and Siyu Yao; (PhD) Alba Mayta Apaza, Amy Andes, Haley Chatelaine, Gonzalo Cruzado, Chengyu Gao, Jerish Janahar, Ellia La, Clifford Park, Hyeon Park, Shuai Ren, Yumin Xu, and Yucheng Zhou; (Post Doc) Ahmed Abdelhamid; (research scientist) Achenef Beyene.
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz was chosen as a 2020 Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring Award recipient. She was nominated by Drew Sanders.
- Welcome to Alexandra Mobley who has joined the department as our Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Erica Kosmerl has been awarded the 2020 Danone North America Gut Microbiome, Yogurt, and Probiotics Fellowship for this upcoming year. The Danone Fellowship Grant was established in 2010 with the intention of providing funding for novel studies of yogurt, probiotics, and the gut microbiome.
- Congratulations to FST PhD student Howard Park who has been awarded the 2020 Peanut Proud Scholarship. He will receive the scholarship during the 2020 IAFP Annual Meeting.
- Congratulations to the following students who received an OVIFT scholarship: Amy Andes, Danica Berry, Jenna Fryer, Ariel Garsow, Danielle Voss, and Katie Williamson.
- Congratulations to Katie Williamson who is the 2019-2020 recipient of the Pamela Parker Garten and Tom Parker Graduate Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded to one graduate student per academic year as part of the Pat and Bobby Moser Scholars Program.
- Congratulations to Dr. Mackenzie Hannum who has been named the 2019-2020 Outstanding TA.
- The FST student club Know Food Waste OSU has been awarded a $14,000 grant from Ohio State Energy Partners to implement a yearlong composting program at the Parker Dairy Store cafe. They hope to divert over 90% of waste away from landfills through this project.
- Congratulations to Kara Edwards and Jenna Miller on their induction into Phi Tau Sigma, the Honor Society of Food Science and Technology.
- Congratulations to Fenfen Tang and Dr. Mackenzie Hannum on receiving FST Outstanding Graduate Research Awards.
- Congratulations to Madison Fomich who received the Virginia Dare scholarship. Each year the Virginia Dare Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate food science student based on academic achievement, leadership, professional potential, and interest in flavor technology.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk was the featured expert in an article by the Alliance Review about food safety adaptations resulting from COVID-19. Dr. Kowalcyk also talked about keeping foods fresh longer in a CFAES Chow Line article.
- Dr. Hardy Castada had two featured publications in the Ohio State Postdocs Quarterly Newsletter this spring.
- Food Industries Center Program Specialist Steven Simmons served as a panelist on a webinar series for small food processors titled “Sustain and Thrive in COVID-19 Pandemic”.
- Congratulations to Food Science Club’s new Executive Board: President - Philip Eberly; Vice President - Peyton Greenwood; Treasurer - Emily Thimmes; Industry Liaisons - Sarah Thomas and Mac Warren; Social/Volunteer Chair - Melanie Petitti; Product Development Liaisons - Brenna Kilbarger and Lauren Ma.
- Congratulations to the Citation Needed Science Communication Club’s new Executive Board: Co-President’s – James Chung and Danielle Voss; Treasurer – Terrence Dent; Secretary - Jordan Hartman; CFAES Liaison – Ellia La.
In This Issue: