You are here
Food Science and Technology News : April Highlights
- The CFAES Celebration of Students banquet took place this month and the department was well represented:
Dr. Bill Hildebolt received the Meritorious Service to Students award
Anna Schmenk and Daniel Sosh were recognized as rank 4 Newcomb Scholars
Ashley Besancon was recognized as a rank 2 Newcomb Scholar
Emily Kreinbrink received the CFAES Internship Award for FST
Citation Needed received the ‘New Activity’ award for their screening of Food Evolution.
- Congratulations to Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk who has been awarded the 2018 Ewen C.D. Todd Control of Foodborne Illness Award. The award is given annually to an individual for dedicated and exceptional contributions to the reduction of risks to foodborne illness. She will receive the award at the IAFP Annual Meeting this July.
- Congratulations to Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores who was named the 2017-2018 Food Science Club Professor of the Year.
- Dr. Chris Simons talks about why we eat food that 'hurts so good" in the Columbus Dispatch.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk talks about foodborne Illness in a WebMD article.
- Dr. Abby Snyder talks about the recent E. Coli outbreak in Consumer Reports. Dr. Snyder also talks in a CFAES news release about helping restaurants avoid foodborne illnesses through training as well as a recent CFAES Chow Line about the FDA recall of Kratom.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam was awarded the 2018 Innovator of the Year Award at the OARDC Annual Research Conference earlier this month.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk recently talked about raw and uncooked frozen fruits and vegetables on the Dr. Oz show.
- Ariel Garsow was one of two CFAES graduate students selected to participate in the 2018 U.S. Borlaug Summer Institute on Global Food Security.
- Congratulations to the following individuals who will be on 2018-2019 Food Science Club Executive Board - President: Kelly Deatherage; Vice President: Josh Song; Secretary: Ashley Besancon; Treasurer: Amy Andes; Industry Co-Liaisons: Ali Lachey & Emily Holman; Social & Volunteer Chair: Jing-Wei Lee; OVIFT Liaison: Morgan Whitecotton; Product Development Liaison: Megan Gregg; CFAES Liaison: Kevin Berkowitz.
- The department was well represented at the 2018 Russell Klein Nutrition Research Symposium. Matt Teegarden, Meredith Myers, Kelsey Morris, and Carla Rodriguez all participated in the poster competition. Meredith Myers placed third with her poster. Matt Teegarden also gave a Post-Doc Oral Presentation.
- Congratulations to Haley Orwig who tied for 1st place in the Food Science, Safety, and Security category of the Denman Undergraduate Research Forum. Other FST students participating in the Denman included: Ayna Arora, Morgan Whitecotton, Siti Fatimah Khairuddin, Jing Wei Lee, Xiang Li, Daniel Sosh, Maggie Stegman, and Zihan Zhang.
- Congratulations to the 2018 OVIFT scholarship recipients: OVIFT Undergraduate Scholarship - Morgan Whitecotton; Dr. Grady Chism III OSU Undergraduate Scholarship – Ayna Arora; John Litchfield Graduate Fellowship – Didem Peren Aykas; OVIFT scholarship to a deserving graduate student (3 available) – Makenzie Hannum, Geoff Dubrow, and Meredith Myers.
- Mackenzie Hannum talks about molecular gastronomy in a recent IFTSA Science Meets Food Blog.
- Congrats to Ayna Arora, Anna Schmenk, Amy Andes, and Jing-Wei Lee for being named a top 5 finalist in the Spring 2018 BOSS (Best of Student Startups) Finale at Ohio State’s Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
- CFAES Dean Cathann Kress and Citation Needed club president Haley Chatelaine welcomed students to the World Food Prize Ohio Youth Institute and talked with them about food security and the need to educate consumers about food science and agriculture.
- The Ohio State Food Science Club hosted over 90 students from OSU, UIUC, Purdue, and UT-Knoxville this past weekend for the IFTSA Midwest Area Meeting. The weekend kicked off with an interactive networking night where Ohio State Food Science highlighted their PD teams and two local entrepreneurs (OH Chips and J-Pop Gourmet Ice Pops). The night ended with a tour and mixer at Brothers Drake Meadery. On Saturday, students toured Kroger Bakery, Marzetti, and OSU's Central Production Kitchen - which makes and distributes food for all campus dining locations. The College Bowl competition ensued, where Purdue won 1st place and OSU placed 3rd.
- Mackenzie Hannum and Walaa Hussein both received career development grants offered by the Council of Graduate Students. In addition, Walaa and Ariel Garsow received travel awards from 3-A Sanitary Standards Inc.
- The Food Industries Center discussed their collaborative tomato processing research and displayed product samples during a tomato cutting at OARDC as part of the Tomato Breeders' Roundtable Meeting, which meets annually to bring together researchers who share an interest in tomato genetics.
- The Food Industries Center certified industry employees through the International HACCP Alliance during the Introductory HACCP Workshop earlier this month.
- The Food Industries Center recently hosted the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA requirements for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Are you planning to attend the IFT Annual Meeting in July? Do not forget to purchase your ticket to the department’s annual OSU at IFT reception. The reception will be held on Monday, July 16th 6:00-7:30 p.m. in Williford B at the Hilton Chicago. This is a ticketed event and the cost of the ticket is $50.00. If you have already registered and just want to purchase a reception ticket only, you can purchase it by selecting the “Social Events” option in the Attendee Registration and Housing Links box on the home page of the registration site. You can also call registration customer service at 800.462.9440 to have tickets added to your existing registration. Also, be sure to stop by our booth at the Expo – we are booth #1261 (South Hall).
5/4 FST Spring Graduation Party
2:30-3:30 Parker Food Science Lobby
5/16 FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training (Part 2 – Instructor Led)
5/21 Introduction to Food Science Essentials (Online Course)
6/6 Dairy Lab Skills Enrichment Workshop
6/13 – 6/14 Better Process Control School Acidified Foods Only
6/26 – 6/29 Better Process Control School (Spanish)
7/16 OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni reception
6:00 – 7:30 pm Williford B at the Hilton Chicago
7/23 – 7/24 Introductory HACCP
7/25 – 7/27 FSPCA – Preventive Controls for Human Food Training