- Congratulations to Adjunct Faculty member Dr. John Litchfield who has been selected to receive the University’s Distinguished Service Award. He will be recognized during the 2016 Summer Commencement. The Distinguished Service Award was established by the Board of Trustees in 1952 to recognize individuals who have rendered exceptional service to the university.
- Welcome to Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores. Rafael starts May 2 as the new J.T. Stubby Parker Chair in Dairy Foods, and will be reaching out to the dairy industry in Ohio to strengthen the connections to our dairy alumni and to members of the dairy foods industry.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam has been elected a 2016 Fellow of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST). The induction ceremony will be held as a part of IUFOST meeting in Dublin, Ireland this August. IAFoST is a learned society composed of elected Fellows from all parts of the world that serves to promote high standards of ethics and scientific endeavors among food scientists and technologists. It is a source of scientific personnel and information to support international activities related to food science and technology.
- Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona has been selected to receive the North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Educator Award. He will be recognized during the NATCA Conference this June in Hawaii. One of the central purposes of NACTA is to recognize those individuals whose efforts represent the very best in agricultural higher education.
- Dr. Chris Simons has been selected as a participant in the 2016 IFT Emerging Leaders Network (ELN) program which will take place during the 2016 IFT Annual Meeting in Chicago this summer.
- Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona has been selected as the 2016 Professor of the Year by the OSU Food Science Club.
Congratulations to the 2016-2017 Food Science Club Executive Board:
President- Ally Iwanski
Vice President- Megan Lu
Secretary- Vanessa Egbo
Treasurer- Angie Kerns
Industry Liaison- Mackenzie Hannum/ Meredith Myers
OVIFT Liaison- Kevin Wong
CFAES Liaison- Ayna Arora
Social Chair- Samantha Grim
Product Development Liaison- Katie Williamson
- A number of students were recognized at the 2016 Ohio Valley Institute of Food Technologists Suppliers Expo. Matt Teegarden received the John Litchfield Graduate scholarship and other scholarship recipients included Peren Aykas, Santosh Dhakal, John Frelka, Alexa Lans, and Bing Yan. Travel grants were given to Helen Bunker, Mengyuan Fan, Alexa Lans, Fei Lao, Rebecca Liu, Megan Lu, Peipei Tang, Eva Vazquez Orejarena and Kevin Wong. In addition, Ariella Feldman, John Frelka, Helen Bunker, Peipei Tang, Brianne Linne, and Santosh Dhakal were recognized for their research posters.
- FST PhD student Jacob Farr was selected as the recipient of the 2016 International Food Information Council (IFIC) Foundation Sylvia Rowe Fellowship Award. The goal of this award is to develop the recipient's communication skills so that they can apply them to communicating nutrition and food safety information to the public in an academic setting, professional situation (either for-profit or nonprofit sector), or other public venue.
- The FST team Ohio Sourced and Sauced won the grand prize in the Food Innovation Center ‘Food Fight’ competition. Team members included Peipei Tang, Jacob Farr, and Greg Sigurdson. Ohio Sourced and Sauced integrates fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables with familiar spices while adding shelf-stable sauce formulations and legume based balls and shelf-stable cooked brown rice. FST student Vanessa Egbo was part of the Garden Express Meal Starters team that placed first in the competition.
- Ohio State hosted the Center for Advanced Processing and Packaging Studies (CAPPS) spring meeting. There were 29 industry advisory board members in attendance representing the 13 member companies and $200,000 in projects were awarded with $100,000 of that amount being awarded to OSU faculty. CAPPS is an NSF-I/UCRC National Science Foundation-initiated program designed to foster partnerships between industry and universities for the mutual benefit of both parties and the advancement of food processing and packaging research. Click here to learn more.
- The Food Industries Center hosted the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training on April 12 – 14. This 2 ½ day workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that gives participants an overview of the concepts of how to create a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA requirements for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
CFAES recently held their annual recognition banquet and there were a number of honors bestowed to students, faculty, and friends of our department:
Dr. Jiyoung Lee was awarded the Rodney F. Plimpton Award for teaching.
Dan Wampler was recognized with a Meritorious Service to Students Award.
FST Senior Rachel Townsley was named a CFAES Outstanding Senior
FST students Daniel Sosh and Anna Schmenk were named Newcomb Scholars
- The OSU and ICARM team has been selected as the first ‘Spotlight’ of the Global Innovation Initiative. Each month, the Institute of International Education highlights the work accomplished by one of the 16 Global Innovation Initiative award recipients. The spotlight is a chance to learn about the ground-breaking work being done as a result of the GII funding and the impact these projects are having in their communities. Click here to read more.
May 6 FST Spring Semester Graduation Party
July 17 OSU at IFT Friends and Alumni Reception
Sept. 12-14 Conference of Food Engineering (CoFE)