- Congratulations to Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores and Dr. Melvin Pascall on being named 2022 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Achievement Award recipients. Dr. Jimenez-Flores received the Excellence in Education Award in Honor of William V. Cruess and Dr. Melvin Pascall received the International Food Security Award in Honor of Bor S. Luh. They will be recognized during the IFT Annual Meeting this July in Chicago.
- Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk been appointed chair of the Science Board to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Dr. Kowalcyk directs the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention (CFI).
- Dr. Yael Vodovotz was featured as a spotlight speaker at Ohio State's Research and Innovation showcase. You can listen to her talk “From Mars to Monkeys: Innovation through Collaboration” here.
- The department’s FoodSURE program was recently featured in the Institute of Food Technologists Academic Update newsletter. You can read the full story here.
- Food Science and Technology was well represented at the 2022 CFAES Annual Research Poster Competition held earlier this month. Congratulations to the following FST students who placed in the competition: Undergraduate Category – Talia Katz placed 1st and Thania Ortiz Santiago placed 3rd; Postdoctoral Category – Gonzalo Miyagusuku Cruzado, PhD placed 1st. Also participating from our department was Cameron Jordan, Celeste Miller, and Cam Rich in the undergraduate category; Willow Chan, Erica Grush, Xiaoyan Tan, and Lu Xun in the master’s category; Allison Howell, Jerish Joyner Janahar, Shreya Nuguri, Hyeonwoo Park, and Siyu Yao in the doctoral category.
- The College hosted their annual CFAES Celebration of Students award recognition program this month and Thania Ortiz Santiago received a CFAES Internship Award for her internship experience at Jeni’s Ice Cream. The department’s science communication club, Citation Needed, received the CFAES Student Organization Excellence Award for Outstanding New Activity.
- The Food Science Club recently had its end of year party and presented their annual 'Professor of the Year' award. Congratulations to Dr.'s Luis Rodriguez-Saona, Hua Wang, Brian Waters, and Ahmed Yousef who are this year’s recipients.
- Congratulations to the OSUFST College Bowl Team on winning the IFTSA Midwest Regional College Bowl Competition that took place this year at Michigan State. Next stop is the IFTSA National Competition during the IFT Annual Meeting in July. Team members include Megan Booth (captain), Rachel Berk, Ariel Garsow, Mrunmayee Joshi, Shreya Nuguri, Thomas Reis, Emily Thimmes, and Danielle Voss.
- Congratulations to the following students who placed at the Ohio Valley Institute of Food Technologists (OVIFT) poster competition: Undergraduate category – Cameron Jordan; Graduate category – Siyu Yao placed 1st, Kym Man placed 2nd, and Abbie Sommer placed 3rd.
- Cameron Jordan and Thania Ortiz Santiago participated in the 2022 Ohio State Spring Undergraduate Research Festival. Cameron's project mentor is Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona and Thania's project mentor is Dr. Monica Giusti.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher Dr. Brittany Miles recently presented "Getting 'in touch' with oral texture perception: The bottom-up approach for assessing how humans perceive texture within the oral cavity" at the Monell Chemical Senses Center Spring Colloquium and was a symposium speaker at the Association for Chemoreception Sciences annual meeting where she presented "Thinking beyond the tongue: The importance of a 'whole mouth' approach to assessing texture perception."
- Nominations are open for the 2022 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
- Know of a great food scientist in industry or academia but they’re NOT from Ohio State? Nominations are being accepted for suitable candidates from all persons or groups in the food science profession for the 2022 OSU Harris Award for Excellence in Food Science & Technology. The purpose of the Harris Award at The Ohio State University is to celebrate excellence in food science, food technology or related disciplines. Click here for more information.
May 6 FST Spring Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 Parker Food Science and Technology Lobby