Food Science and Technology News: April 2021 Highlights
// Food Science and Technology News: April 2021 Highlights
- The College hosted their annual CFAES Celebration of Students award recognition program through a virtual YouTube Premier earlier this month. We are pleased to congratulate the students, faculty, and supporters of the department who were recognized. FST Advisory Board member David Calvin was recognized for his meritorious service to students. Dr. Chris Simons received the Rodney F. Plimpton Teaching Award, Dr. Mary Pohlschneider received the Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, and Dr. Yael Vodovotz was the inaugural recipient of the CFAES Spirit of the Land Grant Award. Julianna Andres was named the Jill A. Pfister Outstanding First Year Student and Philip Eberly, Jacqui Fox, and Natalia Jaspeado Becerra were recognized as the CFAES Distinguished Seniors from Food Science and Technology. In addition, Citation Needed was given the Active Citizenship Award for a student organization and Know Food Waste was recognized as Student Organization of the Year.
- Congratulations to Senior Lecturer Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider who has been selected to receive the Honorary State FFA Degree. The Honorary State FFA Degree is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon an individual by the Ohio FFA Association. She will be recognized during the 93rd Ohio FFA Convention this spring. Dr. Pohlschneider was nominated by Big Walnut – DACC FFA where she serves as a coach for the Food Science Career Development event.
- The College held the 2021 Annual Research Conference virtually this year and included both undergraduate and graduate student competitions. Congratulations to FST students Petar Kolev who placed 1st and Anna Carroll who placed 2nd in the undergraduate category and to Danielle Voss who placed 2nd in the master’s category.
- There were a number of students from the department who participated at the Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum this year. Congratulations to our students who placed in the oral and poster competitions: Abigail Krentz placed 1st, Sydney Grouge placed 2nd, Danielle Voss placed 3rd, and Aishwarya Badiger received honorable mention in the oral competition. Abigail Sommer placed 1st, and Erica Grush and Yutong Li both received honorable mention in the poster competition.
- Congratulations to the OSUFST College Bowl team as they won the Midwest Regional College Bowl Competition. This means that they will move on to compete virtually in the IFT national competition this summer. FST’s team members include Aaron Beczkiewicz, Aishwarya Badiger (Captain), Ariel Garsow, Danielle Voss, Emily Thimmes, Julianna Andres, Maria Cotter, Megan Booth, and Tim Vazquez.
- The university-industry consortium that is investigating innovative food manufacturing technologies was recently featured in CFAES News. This consortium includes FST faculty Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Chris Simons, and Dr. Ahmed Yousef.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam was recently featured by the Knowledge Exchange as in a series called ‘Quick! Answer This” which explores the work of CFAES researchers.
- Congratulations to FST graduate student Aishwarya Badiger on being selected to receive the 2021 Scarlet, Gray, and Green Leadership Award from Ohio State Student Life. She was chosen for this award because of her sustainability efforts on food waste.
- Congratulations to graduate student Gary Closs Jr. for receiving 2nd place in the oral presentation competition at the 2021 MANRRS Annual conference. MANRRS is Multicultural students in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences at Ohio State University – a chapter of the National Society of MANRRS.
- Congratulations to graduate student Veeramani Karuppuchamy who has been selected to receive the Graduate Associate Performance Award (GAPA). This award is Ohio State’s recognition of the exceptional performance of graduate students while providing caregiving for children and others. Veeramani was also awarded a 3-A SSI 2021 Student Participation Award which will provide him an opportunity to present a poster and participate in the 3-A SSI 2021 Education Program virtually in May.
- Graduate student Allison Howell talks about adulterants and the importance of transparency in our food systems in this IFTSA Science Meets Food blog post.
- Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led the Food Industries Center’s virtual Introductory HACCP workshop on April 20-21, with lectures from Steven Simmons, Matt Papic, and expert industry collaborators. Upon successful completion of the course, food industry employees were certified through the International HACCP Alliance.
- Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led the Food Industries Center’s virtual FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food workshop on April 27-29, with lectures from Steven Simmons and expert industry collaborators. This workshop uses FDA-recognized and standardized curriculum that provides food industry employees with an overview of the process of developing a Food Safety Plan to comply with the Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Foods rule. This workshop meets FDA personnel training requirements under the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Nominations are open for the 2021 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form.
May 7 FST Graduation Party
2:30 via Zoom
July 19-21 IFT Annual Meeting (virtual)
In This Issue: