Food Science and Technology News : July Highlights
- The Institute of Food Technologist’s IFT18 was held in Chicago this month and our department was well represented during the annual meeting. We had over 35 students and faculty participating this year in some capacity that included, but not limited to, poster presentations, competition finalists, student leadership, panelists, and speakers. OSUFST highlights during the meeting included:
IFT Achievement Awards
Dr. Denny Heldman received the Nicolas Appert Award
Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona received the William V. Cruess Award for Excellence in Teaching
Dr. Devin Peterson received the Stephen S. Chang Award for Lipid or Flavor Science
Dr. Barbara Kowalcyk received the Samuel Cate Prescott Award for Research
Graduate Student Poster Competition
Aishwarya Badiger placed 1st in the Refrigerated and Frozen Foods Division
Mei-Ling Shotts placed 1st in the Quality Assurance Division
Stelios Sarantis placed 2nd in the Food Chemistry Division
Amanda Sia placed 2nd in the Quality Assurance Division
Ahmed Menevseoglu placed 3rd in the Quality Assurance Division
Product Development Competition
The FST product development team won 1st place in the IFTSA MARS competition with their product “Banzo Bites.” Team members included Amy Andes, Ayna Arora, Megan Hoehn, Jing-Wei Lee, Megan Lu, Anna Schmenk, Sarah Steinbrunner, and Tara Vorst.
- CFAES Vice President and Dean Cathann A. Kress announced that Dr. Sheryl Barringer has been reappointed as department chair for a four-year term through May 30, 2022.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam, Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Chris Simons, and Dr. Ahmed Yousef are all part of a team that has been awarded a four-year, $891,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture to study healthier food and beverage processing options. Click here to learn more.
- Dr. Chris Simons and his Food Perception and Liking Lab was featured on the OSU website.
- Dr. Ken Lee shares scientific information about MSG in the YouTube video “Stop Blaming MSG for Your Headaches - In Real Life - Episode 2.”
- Dr. Abby Snyder talks foodborne illness and pathogens in nonperishable foods in a recent CFAES Chow Line.
- PhD student Emily Holman placed 3rd in the Developing Scientists Technical presentation competition at the recent International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Annual Meeting.
- FST undergrad Sarah Steinbrunner was part of a team that was named a winner in the Ohio Signature Food Contest. The contest was sponsored by the Center for Innovative Food Technology (CIFT) and the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation and showcases many new, innovative products ready to take that next step – actual product development. Click here to read the story.
- MS student Amanda Sia posted in the IFTSA Science Meets Food blog about Big Data & Predictive Analytics in Food Safety.
- MS student Elliot Dhuey has been elected to serve as a delegate to the Council of Graduate Students for the 2018-2019 term.
- The Food Industries Center offered the Better Process Control School in Spanish on July 2 – 5 in Ecuador, reaching an audience from Peru, Uruguay, Honduras, and Ecuador. Dr. Valente Alvarez, along with expert instructors, offered daily lectures in microbiology, acidified and low-acid foods, container closures and handling, thermal processing, and recordkeeping. This course satisfies the training requirements specified in both the FDA and USDA regulations designed to prevent public health problems in low-acid and acidified low-acid canned foods.
8/3 Summer Graduation Party
2:30-3:30 Parker Food Science Lobby
8/20 Welcome Back Lunch
12:00-12:45 pm Parker Food Science Lobby
8/20 FST grad student orientation
12:45-4:45 pm Parker Room 118
8/30-8/31 Intoduction to HACCP Principles for Meat and Poultry Processors
10/2–10/4 Dairy 101: Introduction to Dairy Processing and Management
10/16 Cleaning and Sanitation Basics
10/17–10/18 Advanced CIP