- Congratulations to Lee-Ann Jaykus, PhD who has been selected as the 2022 Harris Award recipient. Dr. Jaykus is the William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor in the Department of Food, Bioprocessing, and Nutrition Sciences at North Carolina State University. This award is given annually to recognize excellence in and contributions to the discipline of food science. The selection committee seeks to recognize the accomplishments of an outstanding individual who made substantial contributions to the advancement of food science or technology. Dr. Jaykus will travel to campus during the 2022-2023 academic year to receive their recognition and to give a public lecture in the department.
- FST Interim Chair Dr. Martha Belury has been elected the 2022-2023 president of the American Society for Nutrition (ASN). ASN is the preeminent professional organization for nutrition research scientists and clinicians around the world.
- The Institute of Food Technologist’s FIRST Annual Event and Expo was held in Chicago this past month and our department was well represented with several students and faculty participating this year in some capacity that included poster presentations, competition finalists, student leadership, panelists, and speakers. OSUFST highlights included: Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores received the William V. Cruess Excellence in Education Award and Dr. Melvin Pascall received the Bor S. Luh International Food Security Award. The FST College Bowl Team placed 1st in the national competition. Team members were Emily Thimmes, Megan Booth, Mrunmayee Joshi, Danielle Voss, and Rachel Berk. Students that placed in the Oral Competition included: Zhen Qin – 1st place Biotechnology Division; Lu Xun – 1st place Food Chemistry Division; Jerish Janahar – 3rd place Food Engineering Division; Chih Chun Kuo – 1st place and Shengyue Shan 2nd place Product Development Division; and Erica Grush – 3rd place Fruit & Vegetable Products Division. Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam received an Outstanding Service Award from the IFT Food Engineering Division. You can find a program of OSUFST’s activities at IFT FIRST here.
- Gina Nicholson Kramer talks about studies around third party food delivery and the importance of regulations in a story from Spectrum News 1.
- FST alumnus Brittany Towers Lewis (BS’11, MS’13) was featured in The Ohio State University Alumni Association’s newsletter and CFAES Connect for her efforts to explain science in 60 seconds or less on social media platforms.
- The Knowledge Exchange recently summarized PhD student Jerish Joyner Janahar’s research in ultrashear technology that was published in Science Direct and came out of the lab of Dr. Bala Balasubramaniam.
- Congratulations to the new leadership teams of these FST organizations for 2022-2023: Phi Tau Sigma: Sam Hoffman - President; Kevin Kim - Vice President; Matthiew Haines – Treasurer; Brianda Gonzalez Orozco – Fun Run Chair; Chih Chun Kuo – Workshop Chair; Hetian Hu – Communication Chair. Know Food Waste: Brianda Daniela Gonzalez Orozco – President; Mateus J. do Rego Ferreira Lima – Vice President; Chloe McGovern – Treasurer; Abby Bright – Repurposing Chair; Ronald D. Melendrez Alvarez – Composting Chair; Noah Dameron – Education and Outreach Chair; Olivia Severyn – Social Media Chair.
- The Food Industries Center conducted an onsite Better Process Control Schools at Morgan Foods (Austin, IN) on July 28 – 29. Lead instructor, Dr. Valente Alvarez, and Steven Simmons trained employees in thermal processing of low-acid foods.
- Welcome to Nicole Chapman who has joined the department as an Academic Program Manager.
August 5 FST Summer Graduation Party
2:30 – 3:30 pm Parker Food Science and Technology Lobby
August 16 – 19 Food Industries Center Training Course
Better Process Control School (hybrid)
September 1 CFAES Back to School Bash
4:00 – 7:00 CFAES campus
September 23 Buckeye Chapter Phi Tau Sigma Seminar
Dr. Daryl Lund, former Phi Tau Sigma national president
September 30 FST Ice Cream Social
3-4 pm Parker Food Science and Technology Patio
September 30 FST’s 2022 Hall of Distinction
5-7 pm Food Science and Technology Building
Oct 18 – 20 Food Industries Center Training Course
Cleaning and Sanitation Basics + Advanced CIP
Oct 25 – 26 Food Industries Center Training Course
Nov 9 – 11 Food Industries Center Training Course
PCQI Training: Preventive Controls for Human Food