- Dr. VM Bala Balasubramaniam and PhD student Jerish Joyner Janahar recently published a paper highlighting how pressure, temperature, and shear can be applied for formulating clean label liquid products. Dr. Rafael Jimenez-Flores, Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, FST Research Associate Dr. Bhavesh Patel, and former post-doctoral researcher Dr. Joana Ortega-Anaya also contributed. You can read it here.
- Ohio State’s Knowledge Exchange reported on a publication about what compounds make whole wheat loaves taste bitter or have an "off" flavor. You can read it here. FST faculty Dr. Devin Peterson and Dr. Chris Simons, visiting professor Dr. Edisson Tello, and former student Dr. Wen Cong authored the paper.
- On January 9 – 13, the Food Industries Center trained FDA, NOAA, U.S. Army, and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology virtual course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez led a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and the food industry, including numerous staff and graduate students, and the following faculty: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Sheryl Barringer, Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, Dr. Dennis Heldman, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, and Dr. Sudhir Sastry. The 5-day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods.
- The newly released 2022 FDA Food Code includes amendments submitted by CFAES Extension Assistant Professor and Field Specialist, Food Safety Dr. Nicole Arnold to harmonize definitions for mechanically tenderized beef, and to acknowledge new requirements to label mechanically tenderized beef products. 2022 FDA Food Code.
- Nominations are open for the 2023 FST Hall of Distinction. Established in 2013, the Hall of Distinction seeks to recognize graduates and friends of the Department of Food Science and Technology at The Ohio State University who have made significant contributions to the food science and technology profession. Click here for more information and the nomination form. Click here to see the 2022 Hall of Distinction celebration.
- The department’s Spring 2023 seminar schedule can be found here and takes place on Wednesday’s from 4:00 pm -5:00 pm in Parker Food Science and Technology room 118 and via Zoom. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the link to any of the seminars. All are welcome to attend.
February 8 Department Seminar
Glennon Sweeney, Senior Research Associate at the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity
February 15 Department Seminar
Giovana Mercali, PhD. Federal University of Rio Grande Do Sul
February 22 Department Seminar – Student Presentations
Erica Kosmerl, Allison Burg, and Allison LeMinh
March 1 Department Seminar – Student Presentations
Sanjana Sawant, Rahul Kamath, Zhen Qin
March 8 Department Seminar – Student Presentations
Chloe McGovern, Fan He, Ronald Melendrez Alvarez
March 13 – 17 Ohio State University Spring Break
March 14 – 17 Food Industries Center Training Course
Better Process Control School (hybrid)
April 17 – 18 Food Industries Center Training Course
April 19 – 21 Food Industries Center Training Course
FSPCA - Preventive Controls for Human Food Training