- Congratulations to Dr. Luis Rodriguez-Saona on being named a CFAES Distinguished Professor. The title of Distinguished Professor of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences honors colleagues at the rank of Professor who have excelled in teaching, research, or outreach/engagement, and whose work has demonstrated significant impact on their fields, students, CFAES, and University, and/or the public. Formal recognition will take place from the College in March.
- The department hosted their annual graduation party for our FST graduates. We celebrated 4 undergraduate students, 5 master’s students, and 5 PhDs who completed degrees during the autumn semester. We also published a special edition graduation newsletter that gave the graduates a chance to share some of their favorite memories as well as acknowledge some of the people who supported them. Congratulations and best of luck to our newest alumni.
- Dr. Bala Balasubramanian hosted an open house for the food and beverage processing industry to demonstrate Ohio State’s ultra-shear technology for liquid foods. The research was sponsored from a USDA NIFA grant. The one-day event included remarks by CFAES Associate Dean for Research Dr. Gary Pierzynski, OSU’s Associate Director of Licensing Dr. Jay Dahlman, and technical talks by Dr. Bala and various leaders at Pressure BioSciences (PBI). Dr. Bala's laboratory students Jerish Janahar, Hetian Hu and Sai Sasidhar demonstrated technology feasibility for producing value-added "clean-label" liquid foods using milk, ice-cream, and coffee.
- Dr. Chris Simons talks about leftovers and their taste appeal in an article by Mashed.
- The Coffee Science Foundation (CSF) announced the launch of a new research project, “Sweetness in Coffee: Sensory Analysis and Identification of Key Compounds,” in collaboration with the Flavor Research and Education Center (FREC).
- Congratulations to FST Graduate students Kym Man and Audrey Kuei who each won student awards for outstanding presentations at the Society for Sensory Professionals conference. Kym won the Kroll Award for Outstanding Presentation that Develops or Expands a Method and Audrey won the Caul Award for Outstanding Presentation on Use of Scientific Principles.
- Foods for Health Faculty Director Dr. Devin Peterson talks about emerging research with hazelnuts in a podcast with Ohio State’s Knowledge Exchange.
- FST graduate student Cameron Jordan’s research with the technique called FTIR was also featured in a podcast by NerdRX.
- On December 12 – 16, the Food Industries Center trained FDA, NOAA, U.S. Army, and state regulators through the FD152 Food Processing & Technology virtual course. Dr. Valente B. Alvarez lead a team of collaborators from FST, FABE, and the food industry, including numerous staff and graduate students, and the following faculty: Dr. V.M. 'Bala' Balasubramaniam, Dr. Osvaldo Campanella, Dr. Melvin Pascall, Dr. Mary Kay Pohlschneider, and Dr. Sudhir Sastry. The 5-day course provided an overview of the basic principles in food processing, technology, and awareness of associated equipment used to ensure the safety of manufactured foods.
- Welcome to Tara Ciaciura who has joined the department as an Academic Program Manager for our graduate and undergraduate programs.
- The department's 2023 Spring Seminar Series schedule can be found here. The seminars take place from 4:00 -5:00 pm in the Parker Food Science and Technology Building room 118 each week and are open to the public.
January 9 Classes Resume
January 18 FST Department Seminar
Byung-Kee Baik, Research Leader at USDA-ARS and Affiliate Professor at OSU Horticulture and Crop Science
January 25 FST Department Seminar
Matt Teegarden, Senior Researcher at OSU Foods for Health
February 1 FST Department Seminar
Darryl Wesener, Assistant Professor at OSU Department of Microbiology
February 8 FST Department Seminar
Glennon Sweeney, Senior Research Associate at the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity
February 15 FST Department Seminar
Giovana Mercali, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
February 22 FST Department Seminar
Student Presentations – TBD
March 1 FST Department Seminar
Nicole Arnold, Assistant Professor and Field Specialist, Food Safety at OSU Extension
March 14 – 17 Food Industries Center Training Course
Better Process Control School (hybrid)